K Series Windage Tray

springersrolla

has anyone thought about or mafe a windage tray or scraper for there k series engine??while ive got mine apart i can't see too many dramas and just after some ideas if there floating about. i think it would be eaiser for me to weld something to the sump than attach to mains. is it worth it or just over the top?? any info??

Members dont see this ad

I saw a few ideas while searching images for dry sump pumps. There are a couple of KW to be gained it seems, a horizontal meshed screen and a scraper, but I assume it would be difficult to fit it all together around the oil pump and pickup. The advantage of fitting the scraper to the block is that you can see it as you assemble it, and have the clearance quite small. Fitting it to the sump means the sump must be fitted in a very exact place each time.

I'm looking at taking the next step and running a dry-sump scavenging pump & tank while keeping the stock oil pump to circulate oil on the rally car's 18RG. That clears oil and vapour out of the crankcase completely.

scrapers do help with keeping oil aeration down, but to be honest it is usually more effort than it is worth for anything other than a full on competition engine, a modified sump is a better way in my opinion. it is easy to extend it sideways to gain a lot more capacity, or if you have the room, downwards, and extend the pickup so you can have the oil further away from the crank.

depending on what the car is used for is also a big factor on how much baffling needs to be in there, for a street car or occasional track car you can get away with a few simple horizontal baffles around the main deep section of the sump or a mesh like altezzaclub suggested.

if you are running slicks and getting a lot of g-forces you may want to think about a swinging pickup or some more elaborate trapdoor style baffling.

i just ran a knife edged the crank and had very simple baffling and a winged sump in my engine and never had any issues, even with high revs.

hope that helps

-Phil