Ryan's Te27

Skellington

I've always wanted a set of those steel rims. Yours have cleaned up nicely.

They're not easy to find in Aus, as they were only fitted to (some?) TE72's

I'd use VHT polyurethane wheel aluminium on them, with chrome dress trims. But we can't get that paint here any more either.

I have been looking around for these for a while. They are my favorite steel wheels. I also have the chrome caps, and the beauty rings from my wife's cars old wheel.

Topcoat painted with Rustolium (or tremclad) Hammered finish.

IMG_20150119_214114288_zpsqgt5yf4p.jpg

Edited by Skellington

• 6 months later...
Members dont see this ad

I finally dug into my rusty TE27. I removed the bumper and brackets to get a better view of the damage. The passenger side (Right) unbolted no problem, but the driver side pulled right out with the frame connected. Seems my car came equipped with an additional window inside the wheel well. Must be there to keep the alternator cool... Lots of work ahead on this one.

20150810_212541_zpswfputl0l.jpg

20150810_212532_zpswgsbbke1.jpg

20150810_212516_zps9vcryitx.jpg

20150810_212507_zpsmnezbgg9.jpg

Incredibly common in these cars. The inner guard and chassis rail are invariably damaged by battery acid. A good thing is that the TE chassis has the battery on the right front looking at the car from front on, whereas the KE chassis locates the battery on the left. If you can locate a wrecked KE chassis in the US, you may be able to obtain a pristine replacement cut. Pretty uncommon I gather.

As we only got the KE chassis in Aus, unfortunately not really an option for us.

• 1 month later...

I pulled this out.

20151004_225800_zpsnelpumyd.jpg

And this.

20151004_225725_zpsr3pf2icz.jpg

Here is what it looks like now. I have room to get some metal work done. I think I will put my spare T50 in place of the 3 speed auto. I may have to acquire a manual pedal assembly for this. The frame rail will actually be easy to fix. I was expecting to find rust all through the frame rail, but it stops in front of the crossmember. When I took the crossmember off, There was still shiny white paint.

20151004_225741_zpsxrsgv4kg.jpg