Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Air Compressor Recommendations, Please.

Featured Replies

I'm guessing most if not all of you have an air compressor of some sort in the garage for either the odd job or all the time. Can anyone recommend a brand or size that works well for them. I need one thats going to allow me to do some painting now and then, DA sanding of panels, some grinding and use smaller tools too.

I see super cheap have a special on their 2.5hp, 120lpm, 40ltr tank Blackridge compressor, would this cut it for the tools I want to use? I'm guessing probably not but not sure as I havent bought a compressor before.

Any advise would be appreciated.

 

Cheers

whats your budget?

and whats your power supply?

10 amp 15 amp or 3 phase? what I'm thinking is about $900 but will last beyond your death...

IE mine is in trade use daily in a hot trailer and in 7 years ive replaced a belt and a switch tower and 2 oil changes...

please don't buy a tradetools compressor, if you have a tradetools in your area that is.

 

Cheers, Andy

  • Author

Yeah, I've found a few around $450-700 I think buying one that will last is a good idea. What brand is yours?

SP air look ok, Scorpion? Spears and Jackson at bunnings $495 200lpm 2.5hp belt drive

I'm guessing most if not all of you have an air compressor of some sort in the garage for either the odd job or all the time. Can anyone recommend a brand or size that works well for them. I need one thats going to allow me to do some painting now and then, DA sanding of panels, some grinding and use smaller tools too.

I see super cheap have a special on their 2.5hp, 120lpm, 40ltr tank Blackridge compressor, would this cut it for the tools I want to use? I'm guessing probably not but not sure as I havent bought a compressor before.

Any advise would be appreciated.

 

Cheers

 

The SCA/Blackridge ones are not what you're looking for. However the Stanley ones at Supercheap are often on special for $399, down from $699, and they are 2.5hp, 200lpm, belt-drive, 50ltr tank, cast iron head, good duty cycle etc. When they are on special they are probably one of the better deals around.

Edited by rian

Pilot air is who I use

 

Thats what I have, the pumps are italian made which is very important,

 

http://www.norwesttools.com.au/page/shop/flypage/product_id/13/a/category/e/aircompressors

 

this is 15 amp 3hp not 2.25 hp.

if you had the extra coin and 15 amp was available I would go this, looking at the specs its 20kg heavier with the same size reciever, its 12CFM is FAD, not piston displacement. thats something very important you should check on, the cheaper compressors have good CFM but when you look at their FAD CFM its shit. A bit like speaker, 500W but its only 50w RMS, if you know what I mean...

http://www.pilotair.com.au/Products/ReciprocatingAirCompressors/240VoltBeltDriven-SUPERDUTY.aspx or similar

 

its a big benefit having a true 12CFM compressor running only 2.25 hp, as you have alot less issues on start up and when running on extension leads.

 

 

hope this helps anyway

  • Author

Yup, cheers.

All good info, Definately going to do it once and do it right. Those little one just won't cut it. Cheers for all the info, I recon I will wait for the Stanley $699 model to go on sale, hopefully before christmas. Seems to have pretty good reviews and suitable specs for my needs.

Thanks again

What are the specs on the Stanley ones? Air tools use an amazing amount of air

  • Author

190L/min, 2.5hp, belt drive, twin cylinder, 50l tank, 24month warranty.

Is that free air delivery or piston displacement?

I'd probably go something bigger. I've got a 13cfm 15 amp compressor and it runs everything well but it did struggle a bit with a larger rattle gun. It's an ABAC brand, 3HP, 50L, 13CFM I picked up for $550 down from $799.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Ok so I've been hunting around and my budget has gone up a bit. $850 max

How about McMillan air

http://www.mcmillanair.com.au/product/af-series-abac-pumps/ 12cfm $849

http://www.mcmillanair.com.au/product/c-series-cast-iron-pumps-belt-drive-240-volt/ 12cfm $835

Or this on eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/air-compressor-240v-/201006547791?pt=AU_Air_Tools&hash=item2eccec834f&_uhb=1

Spoke with the guy, he has repainted it, new bearings in pump, inspected and cleaned internals, new 4hp pump, 150ltr tank. He is a fitter by trade so sounds like it's done right

 

 

 

  • Author

Just bought two Stanley 2.5hp 50l compressors. $399 each on sale. That gives me 380lpm FAD when plummed together for less than $800, 24 month warranty too. Bargain. Works out to be the best CFM/FAD for the price and with a warranty too.

Are those Stanley compressors made by Ingersoll Rand? Someone once told me they were, and I'm pretty sure Stanley owns Ingersoll Rand so it would make sense.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.