Exhaust Manifold/engine Pipe Flange Gasket

oldie

What sort of gasket should be used between the exhaust manifold flange and the engine pipe flange on a 4k? I bought one from an exhaust shop but it seems to be to thin to me. It has a 65mmOD that fits nicely in the step of the exhaust manifold but it appears to me to be not enough protruding from the face of the flange and when you bolt the 2 pipes together they appear to be almost touching without proper clamping on the gasket. It appears to be made of some sort of composite gasket material impregnated with what look like metal rings and as said,quite thin,maybe between 4-6mm.

Members dont see this ad

Considered fitting 2 but was told it would probably blow out by the exhaust shop. The flange plate appears to be flat but having said that it has had a new custom bent engine pipe welded into the original flange plate so maybe it has distorted a little. I did fit it with sealant both sides so guess I will just have to wait and see when the rest of the system gets fitted.The 4k is in a morris minor and there is not much free space to play around in,very tight so will see how things go... thanks for the reply.

• 3 weeks later...

We seem to blow out, the flange gasket every two or three meets, I've just learned to live with it.

My young bloke loves it, as the exhaust exits just in front of the rear wheel, once the gasket blows it throws out sprintcar type flames every time he backs off the gas.

I hate it as I recon it costs HP.

Cheers