4K Ignition System Regards Ballast Coil

oldie

Any advice please and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm wiring up the ignition system to a 4k,it is my understanding that they use 12 volt to start and then run on 9 volt through the ballast coil,(12 volt in and 9 volt out to the main coil in run mode). I have 12 volt to the primary of the ballast and then the lead out (I'm assuming its 9 volt) goes to the positive of the main coil. Can anyone suggest as to why,when I put the 12volt to the resistor,with the outlet side connected to the + of the main coil,the resistor gets hot and starts to smoke?

I'm assuming either the coil or ballast is faulty but would appreciate any opinions.Thanks.

Members dont see this ad

Any ideas anyone,I'm keen to get this sorted and start my morris for the first time in several years.

ps- the coil and the ballast resistor are both at least 3 years old or even more and have not been used in that time.

Use a multimeter or a test light to see if the coil +ve goes to earth somewhere.

It should earth via the -ve wire to the dizzy and then through the points when they're closed, but it is designed to do that. It shouldn't earth at all when the points are open so turn the motor until their open and try hooking the wires up.

It sounds like you've got a short to earth with no resistance.