Engine Trouble, Need Help

Corbo.1432

Hey guys I'm new here i have been having a problem with my ke70 and its stock 4k, the car will not idle at all even when in neutral to keep it running i have to keep revving it, also when i take off it has no power what so ever barley gets up to 60kms the prevous own told me the manifold gasket needed replacing, makes sense because it sounds like a tractor. What would be the causes of no idle and no power but, could it be a blown engine? no smoke coming out or anything

The car is also manual

Help is really appreciated thanks :)

Members dont see this ad

What does a "blown engine" mean to you?

Start by fixing things you know about, ie that manifold gasket. It's quite possible that is your problem, and if it is not the root cause of the problem it will certainly not be helping thats for sure. No engine likes air leaks.

Once you have fixed things you know about you can move on with the diagnosis.

First find out where the tractor noise is coming from- manifold to head gasket or manifold to exhaust pipe gasket. You could always use a length of plastic tube stuck in one ear, it will pinpoint a lot of noises.

Make sure you get a one-piece gasket when you do what Dave said.

Also, check the manifold faces are flat so they clamp the gasket tight, and clean out all the bolt holes in the head. Don't forget to grease the threads as you assemble it, dry threads will reduce the clamping pressure.

Like this-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/27374-one-piece-manifold-gasket-who-makes-them-4k/

Thanks guys, also dave its just i don't have the cash to throw parts at it to find out its blown, the car seams to idle once i pump the peddle abit when its off, runs for about 10 seconds with no acceleration, tried to sorce out the tractor sound and it seams to be coming from around the exhaust manifold area

What Dave was after, is what 'blown' means. Unless a motor has dropped a valve and smashed a piston, even a really really worn one will idle. If fixing the gasket doesn't help it idle, then the carb is suspect, and I expect that will be the case- blocked idle jet or drilling or similar.

This is assuming you've set the plugs and points and timing??? As the points wear they close up, retarding the timing and lowering the idle until it won't get up and go and won't idle.

yeah if you can drive it and its not making horrible grinding noises or pissing out oil out the exhaust then it is not "blown".

Sounds like it just needs that exhaust leak fixed and a tune up. But yeah you are wasting your time doing anything untill you get that exhaust leak fixed.

Update guys, got it idling fiddled around with the screws on the carby, when the choke iin it doesnt idle at all, when its out it idles but very very high, don't have a tacho but up around the 4000rpms id imagine, fiddled with the screws on the carby trying to balance it and get it right but no luck?

fix the manifold gasket first. you won't be able to set your carb because the engine is sucking air in from the gap in the manifolds. this is why your car won't run or idle properly.

it's about a 10dollar gasket.

even just tightening the manifold bolts a littls might be enough to get a better result.