4K Engines???

Reggie_ghee

Members dont see this ad
  • 1 month later...

altezzaclub is that for flat top heads? I also have figures of 36cc and 40cc for 3k / 4k flat top heads from

a while back, did you measure these yourself with the ol' burette and perspex plate by any chance?

I know the twin squish are much smaller with herron style pistons to suit on some 4k / some 5k,

and then there's the other 5k style is shallow dish -8cc or so, not sure on head cc on it.

I also have figures of 36cc and 40cc for 3k / 4k flat top heads from a while back,

Funny, I was going through this with Steve last night.. if you back-calculate the 4K head volume from the comp ratio of 9.1 : 1 it should be 34.5cc. If you use a compression ratio of 9.4 to one then the head volume has to be 32.6cc. I measured mine with a lab pipette & plastic sheet and got 31cc on a stock (I assume!) head. This is on KE70 4Ks.

That was working with the published bore and stroke, flat-top 4K pistons and a head gasket of 79mm diameter and 1.1mm thick. (which I measured off a used one last night, don't forget the gasket is larger than the cyl bore) So maybe the factory measure in some technical way rather than just having whatever spark plugs and valves in there.

Richo and I measured his brand-new shallow dish 5K pistons a month back and the dish was 5point something cc, I can't remember offhand, he wrote it all down as we measured his 4K and 3K head volumes. Basically, in a 4K block the dish removes the extra compression from having 5K pistons, so you still have to skim something to raise the CR. I'd be tempted to deck the block and the top of the pistons to remove some dish!! He's using the 3K head to raise compression, so a 3K head, 4K block and 5K bore. I'm dying to see it going!

Here's what I reckoned. You guys can check the figures in case I've made a cockup...

We could back-calculate from the 3K being 1166cc and CR 9.1:1. Head gasket plus combustion chamber can be 'X'.

1166/4=291.5cc per cyl. So (291.5+X)/X=9.1 or 291.5+X=9.1X or 291.5=8.1X so X=36cc, gasket about 5cc so combustion chamber 31cc.

For the 4K, 1290cc with a CR of 9.1 to 1

1290/4=322cc So (322+X)/X=9.1 or 322+X=9.1X or X=322/8.1 or 40cc. Gasket is 5.4cc (being 79mm by 1.1mm, larger than the bore, I just measured it) so 4K stock is 34.5cc

It all depends on what CR you use, the 69-77 plain 3K and the 4K-C both have 9.1 to 1 in Wiki.

If you use the 9.4CR then the 4K becomes

(322+X)/X=9.4 or 322/8.4=X so X=38cc stock. knock off the 5.4 gasket for 32.6cc combustion chamber.

The 3K becomes (291.5+X)/X=9.4 so 291.5/8.4=X or comb chamber is 34.7cc minus 5.4cc gasket for 29.3cc.