Looking At A Ke30..

dirty-30

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a KE30 to use as a hillclimb / rally car. I've found one but it has a rusty firewall. The plan was to actually road register this car with minimal work. The paints pretty shoddy but original, its a 4 speed 3K engine.

I was originally looking for a Gemini, but with the inflated prices people are asking for them ( when they arnt worth it ) i've decided to open my eyes to other cars and i think the KE Series of Corolla's may be it. I'm a big bloke, 6ft and 90kg i've got a big frame but i felt at home sitting in the KE30!

I've never worked on a corolla so i don't know what is hiding behind the rust such as joins etc so i would like some advice on it and the KE30 in general.

Josh

post-20593-0-90521800-1397905916_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

heya,

Best way to see how bad it is, just look up under the dash in behind the glovebox to see how much rust is on the inside. The cause of this is just probably a pile of leaves and shit in there, holding in moisture over time. Structurally it shouldn't affect it too much,

cheers!

What Clapped out said ,as well the rear wheel archs ,floor pan if its been leaking.

Spare tyre well,the number 1 crossmember under radiator .

Not as good base for a (race car)as the proberly a ke70 but lots of info around.

The ke70 at least had coil rear end which is a better start than hay cart springs but they are the same as the gemis way over priced.

rob

The one I have found has some rust in her around the rear arches one of the rear vents on the c pillar. The carpet was badly water damaged but from the looks of it the floors were intact.

I didn't get a chance to look in the boot area. The motor ran very well I couldn't pin point any weirs noises in it. Roof lining was completely shagged but was original. Rear seat vinyl tops were gone door trims were good and the dash was cracked.

This car would also be my transport to and from work as well. At this stage. Which is 70% freeway driving 30 minutes to and from.