Wanting To Change Diff On Ke55

kyle2278

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted here before and am finally about to join the rollaclub! I am planing on buying a 1981 KE55 this week, its in pretty good shape for the price but I am planning to do a lot to it.

Anyway, what would a good diff be for a 4AGE motor conversion as this is what I'm planing on changing to in the future. I'm asking this early because my parents are freaking out about safety and having some disk brakes would ease there minds a little bit, the current motor is still the stock 4k. I would also want to put a LSD in.

thanks heaps, Kyle

Members dont see this ad

r31 skyline is a good option and has the same stud pattern, if your willing to get it shortened, early hilx, rn2x series is a good fit just need to up grade the brakes to discs and change the stud pattern. also a T series toyota diff is a good option too. all these diffs are good for a 4age just depends on budget and skill level

Rear drum brakes are more than adequate to stop a 900kg car. You don't want your rear brakes to be stronger than the front.

Your parents might rest assured if all the brakes were just freshened up. I just did the rears on a KE55. $27 for shoes and $21 for slave cylinders. Stops good.

You might get change from a few hundred when you replace front discs, pads, bearings and reco the calipers on the front.

Then you can confidently cane the 4K daily until your project goes further.

T series would be the ideal upgrade. No need to convert to disc, upgrade the front discs if anything.

The T series diffs vary in width and mounting points so try get one closer to your width.

LSD are widely available for T series in 1 way, 1.5 way and 2 way if you look around...

Awesome thanks heaps will keep all this in mind when i am doing the upgrade, might go for the R31 diff and get it shortened. I know drum brakes are fine for it but I want to be able to drive this car daily and if I get disks they'll let me.

Thanks heap, Kyle

I can get you a shorten r31 diff with all new bearings and seals all you'll need to do is get someone to weld on your leaf spring mounts, $600 + freight or I could even get the brakes refurbished for more, I'll have to check the price of the brake kit