Ke70 First Car Build

carter70

Hey guys

I've just bought a pretty straight stock 82 ke70 xx. Apart from the general fixing up of the bog and rust throughout the car

I was thinking of a few little mods to do on not the biggest budget.

After all the body work is finished I'd probably be respraying it at home after getting a little more experienced in painting.

I'd also be aiming for some wider wheels and was looking at 15x8+0, some opinions on that would be great.

Lastly the stock 4k is a little bit on the slow side, some opinions on whether the 4k is actually worth the work or something like a 4age would be more appropriate. As far as I know there is an exemption available for P plates in queensland, if anyone has had any experience with that i'd love to hear.

Thanks Guys.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum!

15x8 zero wheels would require lipping and pumping your guards slightly. So best to get this done before you do your paint. Easy and quick to do with a guard roller.

This is an excellent write up on some basics for making your 4k more exciting : link.

A 4AGE is always going to be a better option as it is a better engine. It would probably cost around the same kind of money as a tough 4K build also if you kept it stock. There are a lot more things you need to do for a 4AGE though.

K motor: build, drop back in, done.

4AGE : engine mounts, gearbox mounts, tailshaft, gearbox, pedal box, hydro lines, brake upgrade, wiring... there is a lot more stuff that needs upgrading and replacing.

As far as the P plate exemption I was under the assumption that a P plater was not allowed to drive a car with a mod plate for performance. Probably best to talk to the department of transport about that to get proper clear information instead of hearsay.

They do pop off the rim easier than than they should, according to a rally mate who owns tyre shops. Halfway through a corner with the outside front wheel loaded up, the tyre rolling underneath and you hit a sharp little pothole or hollow in the road... I'm not sure at what size they get to be a problem, these guys say a 15x8 can take anything from 215 to 245, so a 205 would probably be fine.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator