Removing Rotting Carpet From Boot - Ke70

deception345

G'Day Rollas,

I need some advice in regards to removing excess glue and rotting carpet from the boot of my KE70. I've tried steel wool, turpes.. even a chisel and nothing seems to remove it.

Just wondering is anyone has any ideas or has managed to remove this kind of stuff before?

I want to try and save the paint if possible.

Cheers.

post-21463-0-01357800-1420525066_thumb.png

post-21463-0-02308400-1420525108_thumb.png

Members dont see this ad

Start with petrol and turps, try brakeclean (chlorinated hydrocarbon) then dive off to meths in one way (alcohols) and then carb cleaner in the other way. (alkenes)

After that most solvents will take the paint off... The laquer thinners and similar things. You can buy Solvent N from CRC for use with Ados F2, which is likely what Toyota Aus used to stick it on with. Its a mix of naptha, acetone and toluene, some of which will be in the carb cleaner.

Start with petrol and turps, try brakeclean (chlorinated hydrocarbon) then dive off to meths in one way (alcohols) and then carb cleaner in the other way. (alkenes)

After that most solvents will take the paint off... The laquer thinners and similar things. You can buy Solvent N from CRC for use with Ados F2, which is likely what Toyota Aus used to stick it on with. Its a mix of naptha, acetone and toluene, some of which will be in the carb cleaner.

I didn't know petrol could work like hahah! By brakeclean.. do you mean brake fluid. I don't have any carb cleaner.. where can I go to get some? Super Cheap Auto or Autobarn?

Should I remove the crap off, Is it worth me recarpeting that area like I did with my base carpet for my boot?

Edited by deception345

Recarpet it... Use the Ados F2 to glue the carpet stuff back on and it saves trying to clean it up.

Brakeclean is the evaporative solvent in an aerosol can that mechanics use for spraying off brake dust. Its got a few different trade names and varying formulations, but they all just wash brake dust and oil/grease off and then evaporate away. I always have a can or two handy for cleaning parts. Check out Supercheap or Repco or any of them, same with carb cleaner.