Just Bought A 1982 Toyota Corolla

These are all minor things that you might expect from a car that the owner has tired of and sold off cheap.

You say you took it for a good run, but that your mechanic says it grinds in third. Did you notice that it grinds in third? Over the medium term you might live with it, but a second hand gearbox should be easy to find.

Will you be relying on a mechanic to help you with the car? If that is the case I recommend working with what you have rather than upgrading anything. These cars are easy to work on and you will learn along the way. There are many dozens of hours involved in modifying cars that you would not want to pay a mechanic to do.

If the speedometer has stopped working, get under the car and check that the cable is screwed into the gearbox properly. Otherwise the cable may have snapped. New cables are on ebay. Or the speedo may indeed be broken, It can be swapped. You just have to eliminate symptoms/causes and repair as necessary.

Is the car running smoothly and cleanly? Or does it bog down when you floor it and consume a lot of fuel. Carburettors can be easily cleaned and tuned even by the home mechanic. Give it a tune - set the timing, swap the points plugs fluids and filters and then see how it goes.

Members dont see this ad

What I assume your mechanic means is that the gearbox grinds going into 3rd gear, so the synchro rings are worn, like all old Toyota boxes. You just drive around that if you want it to last, slipping it into 3rd when the revs are right and not jamming it in. If he really means the gearbox makes a grinding sound when driving in 3rd, things are more serious and I'd look around for anotherT-series gearbox.

The carb flooding will be a needle and seat issue, so it needs a strip and a clean. The speedo cable needs a check, see if you can remove it from the back of the gauge. You shouldn't be able to turn the inner cable, if you can its broken. If you can hang it under the dash so its visible, go for a drive to make sure the inner cable is turning while driving.

If it doesn't turn as you drive pull the whole cable out of the car. The inner cable comes out of the sleeve to check it, and check the plastic gear that drives it in the gearbox. Either the gear is chewed to bits, the cable has snapped, or the cable has slid down out of the gauge.

If it does turn OK the problem is in the gauge, which can be taken out and stripped to check it. Its all simple mechanics, but it takes patience.

The car bogs at idle but runs like a champ especially if I floor it the motor seems to be cleaned up just at idle and during initial start. I do notice the 3rd gear with its slight grind it's not hard it goes in just it has that minor grind. Maybe I can the Trans to get rebuilt. And fix the speedometer the car will be perfect and that's if I can figure the carb. Thing out maybe I need new seals or something.

That's an electric fuel pump above the diff I assume. That's another source of problems- the car may have had a return line and the owner may have closed it off, or the pump itself might be too high a pressure for the carb.

Check the fuel line setup and see, and get the model number soff the pump and look up the pressure it runs at.

• 3 weeks later...