Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ae82 With E58 Gze Gearbox

Featured Replies

Hi All, I have an AE82 twinkly that someone has put an e58 gearbox in. My mechanics won't pass it for a roadworthy cause he thinks the mounts look wrong.

Has anyone managed to do this swap without backyard hacking? I don't want to have to get an engineers cert.

Don't know about an 82, but on a 92 it's all 'stock' mounts that hold it in.

E58 isn't a great swap unless you're looking for strength anyway. Heavy and final drive ratio is taller than standard.

  • Author

Thanks,

 

Hmm, well is seems to be far from stock stuff here.

It has an LSD which is nice, but for a daily I might be better off to swap it back to standard then. At least my mechanic will pass it then.

Looks like a fun weekend ahead for me...

 

Madmorrie

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Well, I think I have it sorted with a single 25mm spacer at the rear of the crossmember, and I've reverted to an AE82 top gearbox mount which just required a plate to pick up the other gearbox mounting hole. Will remake the spacer out of solid alloy (its wood at the moment) and hopefully my mechanic will pass it. If not I might shop around for a RWC.

 

Does anyone know if there is any way to tell a 4AGE from a 4AGZE from the outside?

Does anyone know if there is any way to tell a 4AGE from a 4AGZE from the outside?

 

Lots of ways if the motor's complete: lack of supercharger/IC, distributor/leads instead of CAS/coilpacks, intake manifold...

 

If it's just the block & cylinder head, the 4A-GZE cam cover has 'supercharged' on it. But since they can be swapped over, it's no guarantee.

  • Author

It has no supercharger or anything, just looks like a regular 4age in any AE82. I'm wondering why someone has put in the big gearbox thats all.

I have had the head off, but did not suspect anything at that point so didn't worry too much. Do the GZEs have low comp pistons or do they look the same?

4AGE pistons - left = 9.4 to 1, right = 10 to 1

94to100.jpg

 

 

4AGZE pistons - left = 8.0 to 1, right = 8.9 to 1

4AGZEpistonscompare.jpg

  • Author

Cool, thanks guys. Presumably not a GZE as my pistons look like the first image.

I won't go strapping a turbo to the side just yet then;)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.