Ke70 Clutch Repairs

Goat Ke70

Hey Guys this just happened to me driving home from work went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and heard a noise went to feel the clutch and lost tension in the pedal, everything else is fine can still shift gears good, no grinding or slippage in the gearbox, its just that my clutch pedal no longer has tension at the top and it is very loose, and the bite point is now super low like 4cm off the floor. Has my circlip fallen off is that what holds the gromet into the firewall I have videos to show you what I mean any help would be appreciated and the part number or were to get circlip would be helpful.

Members dont see this ad

Yep !  Very common problem, that "bloody" circlip. It's probably back on the road somewhere, although have a good look down in the engine bay, in case you were lucky, & it jammed or landed on a flat surface somewhere.  It's dark now, but in the morning, I'll lift my bonnet, & take a pic of how I fixed it for good.  I think off memory, I a small hose clamp around it, & stopped the circlip popping out.  It worked, as that was years ago, & I've never touched it since.

Cheers Banjo.

As Altezzaclub says, . . . . .  the good olde hose clip.

image.png.ef9b4f37630e998d6964d4f2124cff65.png

However, I have found that the forces on that hose clip, can increase significantly, if the clutch cable is not oiled/lubricated well inside.  Because the clutch cable action passes through 180 degrees, it is also important to ensure the curve of the cable sheaf is smooth & doesn't move around, when operated.  Hence, I attached a bracket to the tower, to accomplish this. It works well. 

image.thumb.png.0c6aacf8b0dc89d054dbc0689ac715f7.png

image.png.816664ffdbdae369a9e81db73cee17fa.png

Every year or so, I remove the cable; hold one end in a vice, & whilst jiggling it up & down, put oil into it in drops, until it appears at the bottom end.  Never had a problem since.

Cheers Banjo

Yeah thanks guys it was the circlip and will be putting a hose clamp on for extra security, I was able to get a circlip from Toyota Parts I bought a spare just in case hehe, also wondering anyone know where to get a clutch cable from because mine is pretty stretched, I put the circlip on the second notch, but cable looks like its seen better days

The cables are pretty good, unless they have never been lubricated in their long lives, & they have suffered broken wires on the multi-wire cable inside, where you cannot see it.  The aftermarket ones, I've found can pose a probem, where the inner core is too short or too long for the outer sheaf, & the adjustment provided is inadequate.

Take your clutch cable right out.  Clean in up externally, then spend 15-20 minutes, lubricating it, as I described above.  You might be pleasantly surprised, & save yourself some money.  Another good idea, seeing you were able to source two (2) of the circlips; is to fit both, side by side. So that both circlips take the load, grab a big thick steel washer, whose thickness is the same as the gap between the two washers.  You might have to get one, slightly thicker than needed, & sand it down.  When it is just the right thickness, then cut a slot in it, just big enough, so it will slip over the outer cable. When you've got the clutch cable adjustment right, then wind some good olde electrical or adhesive tape around both circlips & the washer in between; so neither the circlips or spacer washer, will ever fall out.  Then your dramas will be over, for ever . . . .  "clutch wise".

Cheers  Banjo

Edited by Banjo