Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke20 4Age, Front Springs/coilovers How Many Kg?

Featured Replies

So my poor stock struts are having issues coping with the added weight of the 4age, and the abuse I hand it at events. I currently have lowered kings in it. I'm looking at doing a coilover sleeve kit, but don't know what spring rate to go for.

Not even the slightest idea..

5 kg?

7kg?

8kg?

I don't know what the current springs are rated at so I can't even make a guess.

Anyone have some idea?

It's the age old question!

 

What shocks are you considering using?

 

I had 6kg with mr2 kyb excel g in my 70 with a 4age and it was about right I thought. So I certainly wouldnt go higher than that. I tried 8kg and it was far too high.

 

The excel g shocks I used only just made the grade, the front was slightly under damped. Especially if you are looking at doing events id look into some bilsteins or similar.

Edited by ke70dave

You can calculate the current spring rate if you can see the top and bottom of it. That's because you need to count the 'active' coils, those that are not touching anything.

 

So find out where the first coil lifts off the seated one and count downwards until you get to where the bottom one sits on the strut base. It could be 5 and three quarter active coils, or a number like that. Then measure the total spring diameter and also the wire diameter. Plug it into here-

 

http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm

 

 

Alternatively you could take a spring off and compress it on the bathroom scales. Have a second person measure the length you start at (just lean on it a few Kg), then put your weight on it while they measure the compressed length and the number of Kg. You could try compressing it one inch, but its fiddly doing that.

  • Author

ke70dave, I have a fairly new set of monroe gas inserts.. I'm sure there is much better stuff out there.. but thats what i have,

 

I guess i could just try a 6kg set and see how it feels.

 

altezzaclub, that is some interesting info.. thanks

 

GJM85, if it wasnt for the 60000kms on them i might be interested.. what engine do you have in yours?

I'm running a bit softer then 6kg, I'm at about 5.3kg/mm front and I'm running 3.5 kg/mm rears. Dampening by Tokico HTS112

what engine do you have in yours?

 

5k

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.