Car Died

Lachie_ke55

Hey guys need help, last night i went for a drive for about 30mins, I then left my car idling for about 5mins drove again and got about 1500m down the road and my car just died but radio, headlights, interior light etc was still on but tachometer wasn't. I tryed starting her but nothing, I got out checked all the fuses that I could find in engine bay and in the car but they were all good, tryed to start her again still nothing I then waited about 30mins and tryed again and it started but now the CHG lights on and my battery says it's fine but says it running on 14.5v-15v when it starts up.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Members dont see this ad

Hi Lachie,

Without knowing more about your car engine setup, as to whether it is standard carby & ignition, or otherwise, I'll have a stab in the dark & suggest you've lost power to the fuel cut-off valve built into the carby.

This cuts fuel off to the carby, as soon as you switch the ignition off.

If you get someone to turn the ignition on & off, (not start it) you should be able to hear it clicking, if you put your ear down close.

If no tick, then unplug wire & test for power with a multimeter of test light.

Cheers Banjo.

Edited by Banjo

Bit more info for you No not strictly standard - replaced coil, it's a 5k from a Hiace in a ke55, and an alarm previously installed but now removed.

I think it's the primary ignition circuit, as there is just no signal at all coming out from the other side of the barrel.

It's basically like you turned the key to off.

Percussive maintenance brought it back - so that indicates loose connection somewhere in the steering column.

Hi Lachie,

Any chance that the alarm system that was removed, had an immobiliser relay or such, that cut out the ignition, & prevented the car from starting, if it was broken into ?

That could explain why no power out of the ignition barrel & to the coil.

Was the alarm system removed very recently, or has it been running perfectly for some time since it's removal ?

Cheers Banjo.