Distributor External Shaft O Ring

Banjo

I was playing around last night, experimenting with a 5K Denso distributor which I have locked up the "flying spring weights", to act as a trigger for a electronic ignition control, without advance. All went well, and with a very basic advance curve mapped in, the 4K-U fired up immediately, & ran OK.

However, after about 20 minutes of playing, I noticed that engine oil was trickling down the side of the block under the dizzy, as so many of us are accustomed to, when we clean the engine. The O ring on the base of the distributor was leaking, helped in no way by the slight +ve pressure in the crankcase.

post-270-0-36969000-1436827264_thumb.jpg

Like most K series distributors, the O ring has gone hard and flat over the years.

I've had a quick look on the web this morning looking for a source of these rubber O rings, but can't easily find one.

I assumed as the hole in the block is a standard size, & both Nippondenso & Bosch dizzys both fit, that the O rings would be a common part.

However, when I pull out an old Bosch unit I have here, I notice the Denso O ring groove is wider.

The Denso dizzy I have has the following model number info on the sticker on the side.

Toyota 19060-13100

5KC 100291-1340

DENSO

Does anyone know the P/N for this rubber O ring, and where you can readily get them ?

If anyone has any part numbers for the O ring on the Bosch dizzy, that would probably be very useful info also.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Thanks Guys ! i might try that. I did find this website in NZ, but it doesn't cross reference the O rings to particular distributors; just makes.

http://www.cdlautopa... April 2012.pdf

pages 6 - 19

A quick measurement, without cutting the O ring out of the groove, indicates it is about 27mm OD, 23mm ID, and cross sectional dia about 4mm.

I presume the best way to fit the O ring is to remove the helical gear at the base of shaft, and roll the O ring up the tapered section on the boss, that Denso have kindly provided.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

You don't need to cut the old one out, unless its really old and hard, just flick it out with a pick or small screw driver etc. you also don't need to remove the gear to refit, a new one will be stretchy enough to roll over it.

Last time I bought one I just took the dizzy to my local "nuts and bolts" and bought 2 different sized ones that were close enough. One was slightly too fat and the other fit perfect. From memory it was about 50 cents for both! ;)

I think I've found one. RAE make a whole selection, especially for distributors.

http://rae.com.au/pr...or-o-ring-kits/

There's one there which is 27mm x 3.5mm CS dia. which should be pretty close. Burson's are there agents, so I'll call into my local Browns Plains store & get them to get a few in for me.

I actually did just as you suggested, & prised it out with a very small screwdriver, so I could measure it. It cracked in half, even though I was careful. It was very hard & brittle.

In fact, when I have a close look at it, I'll swear it is not rubber. It looks more like plastic, unless it's changed it's composition over many years of heat. It's so hard, it wouldn't seal anything.

I'll let you know if the RAE one is the go.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Got one from Bursons today, over the counter for a dollar each. I bought 4, so I've got a couple of spares. It's about 26.4mm OD, with a CS dia of about 3.4mm. Stretched it slightly over the helica gear, as suggested, then rolled it up into the groove.

I put some high temp wheel bearing grease in the O ring slot, and a smear over the exposed O ring, after it was seated in the slot.

Fitted it to the block, and it is a nice tight seal, which still allows the dizzy to turn easily, when setting the initial timing.

No more oil leak.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

A very helpful guy called Michael at Toyota Sydney City Parts, did a serach for me for the O ring for the 5KC distributor.

He came up with the Genuine Toyota P/N 90099-14090.

post-270-0-05966000-1437455207_thumb.jpg

Armed with this info, I have found that this part number repaces O Rings with P/Ns 90099-14020 & 90099-14106.

This O Ring is also referred to in a number of parts lists as P/N 19007A. (Probably a discontinued number)

Anyway, he also discovered that there was just 1 off 90000-14090 in Australia. i had him send it to me, and it arrived in the mail today.

It's dimensions are 27.9mm OD and cross sectional (CS) dia. of 2.9mm. Basically it's a 28mm X 3.0mm O Ring, if you are buying a generic one.

It has a very shiny finish, almost like plastic, and does not look or feel like the regular rubber aftermarket O rings.

These can be ordered through any Toyota parts outlet by that part number.

Hope that info is useful to someone.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo