Help Me Get My Barn Find Ke20 Back On The Road!

post-9647-0-05693700-1438219887_thumb.jpgpost-9647-0-42687700-1438219889_thumb.jpgpost-9647-0-74973700-1438219890_thumb.jpgpost-9647-0-38485900-1438219892_thumb.jpgpost-9647-0-01873100-1438219894_thumb.jpgpost-9647-0-46101700-1438219896_thumb.jpgpost-9647-0-96187400-1438219897_thumb.jpgHey guys/ gals!

I am hoping to pick up my KE20 this week, having it couriered to Sydney as we speak, so I haven't seen it in person yet. Excited.

This car is going to become my daily driver, but ill need some advice on getting it back on the road. Heres what I know about it so far:

-KE20 2 door (unsure of year)

-Has been in a shed on a farm in Western NSW since year 2000.

- Previous owner pulled it out, cleaned the points on the dizzy and got it started.

- It drives (well, apparently)

- Manual 3k 4speed.

- Standard as far as I know, apart from foggies.

-Has minimal rust, but some fairly sized dents (may need new boot lid and FR guard)

So where should I start in terms of getting it ready for Blue Slip given that it's been sitting so long?

I have access to a spare 4k engine and KE55 Suspension.

Should I expect the gaskets to be damaged, parts seized, rust in fuel tank?

What would you guys do?

Any help super appreciated!

Members dont see this ad

I had my car inspected in WA for rego. The inspection was pretty thorough. Basically they wanted a safe car that drives well, with minimal problems such as oil leaks. All the electrics/globes have to work. The tyres need tread and the brakes have to work.

I got picked up for some missing split pins in the steering and for faded seatbelts. They didn't notice/didn't care about a small oil leak from the transmission or the speedo dial that was pretty shaky until it got to 60 .

A friend used to do the inspections in NSW and his advise was to give them something which was safe and looked like you cared about it.

Clean the car thoroughly, degrease it thoroughly, spray all the radiator hoses with tyre shine. Don't give them an engine bay covered in 40 years of grease and shit.

When you think it's ready, take it to them and give they'll give you a list of what you missed. From my experience, the inspectors enjoyed having an old car to play with and were probably more lenient that with a new car.

Good luck. Your car looks great by the way.

It hasn't moved in 15 years. Have a really good look over the whole car. At a minimum, change all the oils (diff, gearbox,steering box & engine) and filters, overhaul all the brake cylinders/calipers and flush out all old hydraulic fluid which is an easy job.

Flush out the cooling system and replace the hoses. Remove and clean out the fuel tank. Replace the wheel bearings. Put new tyres on it. Inspect closely the tierods and balljoints and bushes. Don't tighten the steering box to compensate or you will screw it.

That will undoubtedly throw up a few more jobs.

Try and fix the guard. Good ones are hard to find, and that dent doesn't look to bad.

Thanks parrot! Only things in that list I haven't done are reconditioning ANY brake system parts, and changing diff oil and wheel bearings. Thanks for the help, I'll try and find my old Gregory's manual (KE55) and hope the processes for the different cars are similar.