Ke11 Suspension

Rusty1

I have almost exhausted syspension shops in Perth, then suspension shops that they may know of, to try and source a set of shockies for the front of my Ke11, the shops that I talk to have said that they are different to the Ke20 and onwards.

Does any body know where I can get hold of some???

Or maybe what insert may fit?

Cheers all,

Rusty

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ke2/3/5x strut inserts will fit with a 1" spacer.

if you have the original oil filled struts still, you are in luck. dismantle, take the inner cylinder and knock off the upper rod guide. bingo, you have a perfect sized spacer. slide the rod guide over the shock shaft of your new ke2/3/5x inserts and install into the strut bodies.

edit: look at the pic. you want the bit in the lower circle. :D

post-166-1145524235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Felix

So if I am looking at that correctly, the blue insert is the Ke2/3/5x type and the one in 3 peices at the bottom is the original oil filled insert?

If this is the case, I already have the Ke2/3/5x inserts as my inserts look like the blue gas insert, BUT when I pulled them apart, they did not have the 1" spacer on top, can this mean that I have the Ke2/3/5x struts already in the car???

I have not had the car very long??

Thanks heaps Felix

So if I am looking at that correctly, the blue insert is the Ke2/3/5x type and the one in 3 peices at the bottom is the original oil filled insert?

yes

If this is the case, I already have the Ke2/3/5x inserts as my inserts look like the blue gas insert, BUT when I pulled them apart, they did not have the 1" spacer on top, can this mean that I have the Ke2/3/5x struts already in the car???

probably not. you most likely have ke1x aftermarket inserts in there, which (as you said) are no longer available. they have obviously been replaced at some stage in the cars life.

i'd grab a set of the ke2/3/5x inserts and go from there. compare them to what you have now, and see if you need a spacer. shouldn't be to hard to come up with something. you can always get away with a solid spacer, but install it under the insert. you just end up with a bit more droop (still less then the orig ke1x type setup).

Edited by Felix

i found this on the whiteline site a few years ago. not sure if its still valid.

Someone was asking about ke15 suspension and this is some of the reply given by

Paul Clausen from whiteline.

"KYB list some standard replacement type shocks, but they aren't really

intended for performance use. It would be worthwhile looking into some

strut swaps (only if you do it properly), to get some decent shocks and spring

options. "

no ifo on what struts to use tho!

yea, unfortunately the ke1x front end design is a bit compromised. more to do with a lack of camber/castor adjustment and distance between spring seats then anything else.

the distance between the spring seats can be improved by using ke2x top spring seats. they sit higher, so for a given spring will give less preload and a lower rideheight.

ke2x and later struts assemblies can be made to fit with some stuffing around. though they cause a few problems themselves with increased positive camber, and spring diameter issues after the ke2x.

with the spacer as i have mentioned you have a lot more choice with front shocks.

Ok, before I go and buy the wrong strut insert, can someone please measure for me the dimentions of the Ke2/3/5x strue insert, Diameter, and overall length of the outer housing. ROL-110, you said you have a heap layin around, just these two measurements is all i need just so the car is not off the road in peices for to long, I can het everything organised before I pull it apart.

Cheers all, the help has been great.

Rusty: i just took the insert out of some ke30 struts ill measure it up for ya in a sec.

Doug: Have you got any tips on getting the inserts out of the ke1x struts? I'm having

trouble getting the top nut off and my manual says you need a special tool.

the screwdriver and hammer just arent working for me! :P

Edited by ROL-110

sometimes you can get away with an angle grinder disc tool depending on the strut body nut (works with a lot of the aftermarket nuts). i've gotten a few apart using a SST1 (big f'n hammer) with either a drift or a cold chisel. if you are careful you don't make a mess of the nut.

don't have measurements of the ke1x aftermarket inserts. i do have a good set, but at my parents place (going there next weekend). they were approx 25mm longer in the body, and 50mm longer overall than the set of ke2/3/5x style inserts i had sitting with them. i grabbed the set of the later ones to bring home for my ke25 a couple of weeks ago.

the ke2/3/5x style inserts i have here are the same measurement wise as ROL-110's.

was even thinking for a quick and dirty spacer you could maybe use a stack of similar diameter washers?

sometimes you can get away with an angle grinder disc tool depending on the strut body nut (works with a lot of the aftermarket nuts). i've gotten a few apart using a SST1 (big f'n hammer) with either a drift or a cold chisel. if you are careful you don't make a mess of the nut.

ive had enough of it today, i have already made a bit of a mess of it :P i even tried making a tool to remove it.

if another spacer can be made easy enough i just get it out what ever was possible.