My '06 Toyota Aurion Sx6 Sportivo

Kiwi-Corolla

After almost a year of the having the King Springs installed and never really being satisfied with the horrendous fender gap at the front compared to the slammed look at the back, I decided to do something about it and get new springs and shocks. I toyed with the idea of coilovers, but due to needing a cert it just wasn't justifiable enough for me, but luckily these new Dobi springs have dropped it to a coilover-like height without all of the extra expense. To achieve the perfect drop all round I ended up reusing the King Springs in the rear and only used the Dobi springs in the front.

You may notice that the carbon front lip isn't in the photos.....Reason being is that it ripped off from the front bumper trying to get into my garage....twice. So after two unsuccessful attempts to overcome the small concrete lip at the entrance of the garage I decided that a front lip is just never going to work at this sort of height. Even now the bottom of the bumper scrapes against the concrete coming in, and that's minor compared to most places I go, so it's probably for the best :D

IMG_3190-resized.jpg

IMG_3197-resized.jpg

IMG_3204_5_6_tonemapped-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3207_8_9_tonemapped1-resized.jpg

IMG_3219_20_21_tonemapped-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3210_1_2_tonemapped-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3237_8_9_tonemapped-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3228-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3231-1-resized.jpg

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad

Decided to do a couple of small things to the Aurion this weekend. Had some stick-on chrome trim left so put some around the rear lip. Hard to notice unless you know it's not meant to be there, but makes it look a little better back there.

Tinted the LED bumper reflectors with a 50% opacity black film, so it's now the same colour as the tail lights and has no more glare but isn't fully black when switched off (much better than the 20% tint or red film I tried previously).

And, last but not least, loaded some custom dash faces onto my head-unit which work with the DashCommand OBD-II software I have installed.

IMG_3421-revised.jpg

IMG_3432-resized.jpg

IMG_3425-resized.jpg

IMG_3407-resized.jpg

IMG_3411-resized.jpg

IMG_3412-resized.jpg

IMG_3416-resized.jpg

IMG_3415-resized.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New mods! I discovered that EZ Lip have recently introduced a silver version into their 'Colors' range, so I decided to buy one off TradeMe and give it a shot. My front bumper has seen a few lips over the last 18-months that I've had the car, all of which have been torn off or been damaged beyond repair due to the entrance of my garage and the height of the front-end, so I'm not planning on the EZ Lip sticking around for the long run, but for now it looks good. Upon the first drive into the garage it tore where the lip meets the 3M VHB double-sided tape (no fault of the lip itself) but it's not overly noticeable and seems to spring back for the most part every time it happens.

The 'silver' is actually more of a very light grey, which in directly sunlight is quite a lot lighter than the actual color of the car, but if it lasts the distance I may look at trying to stain it slightly or maybe even plasti-dipping it to be slightly darker. Who knows, once it gets dirty from road grime etc it may naturally become darker, lol.

The other new addition was the carbon fiber looking sideskirt extensions. Some of you may remember that I had one of these on the front bumper before I lowered it even further, which got torn off by the driveway straight away. I had two brand new spare ones sitting in the wardrobe however so thought I'd put them to good use. The photos don't really do them justice, but you get the idea.

That's it for the weekend. Back to driving the car and clenching my butt cheeks every time I enter a driveway :lol:

IMG_3498-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3527_8_9_tonemapped-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3518_19_20_tonemapped-2-resized.jpg

IMG_3515_6_7_tonemapped-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3512_3_4_tonemapped-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3536-1.jpg

20160904_090553-resized.jpg

20160904_090608-resized.jpg

And some random photos taken before the new additions:

IMG_3483_tonemapped-1-resized.jpg

IMG_3494_tonemapped-1-resized.jpg

11----1-resized.jpg

IMG_3433-resized.jpg

Edited by Kiwi-Corolla

I put that lip stuff on my skyline. The double sided tape stuck for a day before I had to screw it on. Then one day driving through Brisbane ripped it off. Ended up having to make sandwich plates to clamp it to the bar on the corners.

It's already badly scuffed up. Low life.

20160826_165230.jpg

I put that lip stuff on my skyline. The double sided tape stuck for a day before I had to screw it on. Then one day driving through Brisbane ripped it off. Ended up having to make sandwich plates to clamp it to the bar on the corners.

It's already badly scuffed up. Low life.

post-8907-0-12023000-1473274521_thumb.jpg

I hear ya'. I originally had a black EZ Lip on when I bought the car and that lasted almost a year before I decided to pull it off and install the carbon fiber type lip, but even that was fine until I decided to drop the front end another 20mm a couple of months ago, and that's when the problems began. Carbon lip ripped straight off upon reentering the driveway, and that was with double-sided tape and a series of screws all along the bottom (the screws ripped straight out from the bumper). This new silver EZ Lip is also held on with screws too and is holding in there remarkably well. Despite the split in the foam where it meets the double sided tape it hasn't got any worse, so I'm hoping that it will just keep rubbing in the same spot and never fully actually tear right through, because they're a right bastard to take off due to that 3M VHB tape and the rub-on adhesion promoter it comes with :laff:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...