Electronic Ignition, Coil And Ballast Upgrade For 5K

Viterbo

I'm looking forward to upgrade and replace my 5K ignition system and I found these 3 parts.

http://www.simonbbc.com/electronic-ignition-kits/bedford-rascal-electronic-ignition-kit

http://www.simonbbc.com/ignition-coils/coils-by-vehicle/dlb110-bedford-lucas-ballast-sports-ignition-coil

http://www.simonbbc.com/ignition-spares/ballast-resistor-for-use-with-a-1.6-ohms-ballast-coil-for-points-or-powerspark

Do you think it's worth the money?

Do you think there are better alternatives?

Hit me with your opinions!

Members dont see this ad

If your current distributor is the original 5K distributor, with reluctor trigger & internal ignitor, you won't achieve anything really by replacing with your options, other than possibly easier starting. The reason is that the PowerSpark replacement Hall Effect ignitor module, does not change the timing & advance/retard of the ignition, which is still a function of the centifugal bob weights in the base of the 5K distributor. The 5K engines were basically used in Toyota commercial vehicles & forklifts, where the requirement was very focused on torque, rather than outright power. As a result, a 5K dizzy in a Corolla is a bit sluggish.

If you really want to get some more ooomph from your Rolla, by all means use the PowerSpark/Accuspark module, as a trigger source, rather than the existing reluctor, but then feed it into a programable ignition module with ignitor. This will however, require "locking up" the centifugal bob weights in your distributor. This is not a hard job. Simply remove the springs, tie the weights in with wire, and then a few "dollops" of Araldite to secure it.

You can then produce an advance curve that will delight you with the results. Instant starts, greater acceleration, smooth cruising & very reliable. Only warning is don't go overboard with very low ohm sports coils, unless you have an an ignitor that can handle it. Lots of guys burn out ignitors, (which are not cheap) by not matching coil selection to ignitor capacity.

I've been running such a system on my 4KU for several years now, and the results were very pleasing.

Cheers Banjo

I think these are good value. BUT it will only work well if your existing distributor has good bearings. Same story with points obviously. If there is any play in the shaft, get that dealt with first. Advantage other than better starting and smoother running, is that you will be using the correct advance curve to suit your engine characteristics.

I think these are good value. BUT it will only work well if your existing distributor has good bearings. Same story with points obviously. If there is any play in the shaft, get that dealt with first. Advantage other than better starting and smoother running, is that you will be using the correct advance curve to suit your engine characteristics.

Can you please explain the bold part? Do I have to do anything or it's an automatic thing?

As Banjo states above; "The reason is that the PowerSpark replacement Hall Effect ignitor module, does not change the timing & advance/retard of the ignition, which is still a function of the centifugal bob weights in the base of the 5K distributor. The 5K engines were basically used in Toyota commercial vehicles & forklifts, where the requirement was very focused on torque, rather than outright power. As a result, a 5K dizzy in a Corolla is a bit sluggish."

The 2K points dizzy will have an advance curve better suited to what you will be asking your car to do, as it already has the right bob weights within the body of the distributor.

Yes, but make sure the 4K distributor is in good general condition and has no play in the shaft.

Edit: I should add, in Australia we had both Denso and Bosch distributors which are completely different. You will need to source the correct unit to suit whatever brand of distributor you have. Just ask powerspark, he will know which one to use.

Edited by parrot

Good advice from Parrot there. An ignition system is as good as the weakest link in the chain. Use an olde dizzy with lots of slop, and you won't get the best results.

Re RainWarriors query above.

The MSD 6AL is basically a smart ignitor, but does not have the ability to setup a custom advance curve.

http://www.msdigniti...on_Control.aspx

It still uses the mechanical advance characteristics from the dizzy that triggers it.

You need a programable ignition module, where you can set the advance curve up to suit your engine setup & your needs.

I use an Australian Jaycar Programmable ignition system, which you build from a kit. It is the cheapest entry level way into a fully programable ignition.

I've got an Accuspark/Powerspark Hall Effect sensor to replace the points in a 4K Denso dizzy I had rebushed. I locked up the bob weights, and the results have been very pleasing.

I have the ignition wired up so that it starts up instantly, using the Accuspark as the ignitor. As soon as it starts & you let go the key, it flips back to the Jaycar system, using the Accuspark as a trigger only.

I've built an external ignitor based on the Bosche ignitor component, which I brought in from DIY AutoTune in the USA. These Bosche ICs are almost indestructible. Just mount it on a heatsink & that's it.

Very very pleased with the results, & highly reliable. I've played with the curve over time & the drive is now smoother, more acceleration & better top end performance.

I've even put a limp mode switch in, so if in the worst case, the whole electronics & ignitor were to burn out, I can switch it back to the Accuspark and drive the coil via it's internal ignitor.

I actually tried it one night, whilst 15 klms from home, and although lacking a bit of oommph, it got home safe & sound, with just static advance of about 12 deg.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo