Ke70 Conversion Possibility

turbo_rolla

Hey guys, just wanting some opinions re the possibility of fitting a 21R out of a Corona (st141 -have i got the code right?). Have managed to come across a cheap 21R & box (5spd) if i want it.

Now, before the grilling begins, a few points to acknowledge....

1. yes i did search - couldnt find too much, apart from toyota engine specs on Source of Toyota Engine Specs

2. i have a KE70 with a 4kc 1.3 4 speed at present

3. i know the 21R is an old engine, but its similar vintage to the 4k

4. i want to keep with a carby engine cause can't be f$#ked doing efi conversion, hence 4age etc are out of the question

5. wanna keep the costs pretty cheap (hence 4age are out of the question, & others EFI like 7k)

6. would ideally like to go something over 1.6L (so 5k, 4AC are out)

7. would rather spend some $$$ on putting in a larger capacity motor than modifying the tits off the 4k to get it to a similar output. Not after a rocket, just a slightly noticable increase in power

8. and, the specs on it don't look too bad ----> 105hp@5200, 116 lb ft@3600 as opposed to 58hp@5200 and 67 lb ft@3600

So I'm basically wondering if anyone out in rollaclub land has done anything similar to this, or if any of you guys are able to help me out with any problems etc you think i might face etc! OR, if anyone has any other suggestions for a TOYOTA carby engine that may fit into the above!

Thanks in advance for any assistance :P

Members dont see this ad

What do you want out of hte car, cheap power, a bit more power or?

A mate of mine spent a shitload rebuilding his 2 litre motor for his gemini, after that he realised it still had no balls, then he charged it, still no balls (although more ass happy), now he's putting in a 13b turbo. After typing all that i forgot my origional point of the post......I'll edit tomorrow.

What do you want out of the car, cheap power, a bit more power or?

Probably after a bit of cheap power and just a bit more power clown. I know its never gonna be a fast car with something like that in it, but the way i look at it is that its an increase on what is in there now.

i would loooooooove to do a 4age conversion, but even with a mate helping out, the cost is probably a bit much. I could be a tool and think "oh yeah, $850 for an engine - cheap conversion!", but then ya got everything else that comes along with it. If i could pick up a real cheap 4age i'd consider it, but i don't see that happening with all the drifters going around these days! :P I will look into the costing of that a bit more though.

I am open to any other carby engine suggestions though, but again i will also look into the EFI side of things. I just wanna keep it fairly simple, fairly cheap, and just get something that will give me a noticable (but not mindblowing) increase in power.

Thanks for the opinions though guys! Be as brutal as you please, cause i do appreciate all comments, good or bad! :P

The crossmember will even bolt into your car and it is a "bolt-in" swap

Bolt in swap you say nick? :y: If i could get something like that it'd be ideal! I'm happy to go for a lower capacity engine if its gonna be easier! Now the T18 is the celica right? DId they come with 5 speeds nick? If the crossmember bolts in though, and the rear mounts for the gearbox are alright this may be the way to go :P

edit: actually, just read that the T's came out with the T40 & T50, so no need to answer that one nick :P Am going over the rest of the FAQ's as we speak

Edited by turbo_rolla

Nice one trev! I think I'm gonna be on the lookout for a similar deal! Like i said, will do some more research and make some calls to see what these engines are going for etc. Should i swap the entire running gear, or can i get away with just the engine & box? Depends if it'll mate with the tailshaft i guess.... :P

Good point trev! Got a nice big double garage now (brought a house recently), so there's plenty of room for a whole car if i go down that track :P I'll keep a look out, and make a few calls. There's a T18 at a yard in adelaide from the looks of it, so might check that out!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

before you get too excited about the t18 crossmember the steering setup is different. T18 has a steering box where as the ke70 has rack and pinion.

Daniel

edit: sorry didnt realise how old the post was

Edited by munki

i know a bloke around the corner thats put a T18 crossmember into his ke70, and had a ke70 rack added professionally (home job, looks stock) :)

Hi

yes its definatly possable just letting turbo_rolla know its not a bolt in swap there would be modification involved

Daniel.