April 28, 200620 yr comment_114767 Hey all I have a 1980 KE55 5-speed stocker. My speedo is out. When i'm doing 60 it reads 70, when i'm doing 100 it says i'm doing 110. It seems to be perpetually 10kmh over. Why is this? How do i fix this? Will I pass a roadworthy with this? Report
April 28, 200620 yr comment_114769 Tried a different dash cluster? What size wheels do you have on it? If that fails, find out your diff ratio and go to Toyota and get the right speedo drive for the end of your speedo cable. Report
April 28, 200620 yr comment_114783 It will be the speedo drive in the gearbox, If you have recently swapped gearboxes, rip the speedo drive out of the old box and swap it. I had the same thing happen to me last time i swapped gearboxes.. Report
April 29, 200620 yr Author comment_114894 No, its the original dash cluster. I'm running 175/70/13s on stock KE55 wheels I believe it's the original Borg Warner 4.11:1 diff. I don't believe its the original gearbox. When I got the car the speedo used to read 20kmh over, and so the bloke i got it off (who is a mechanic) changed the speedo drive in the gearbox (apparently its the 'outer' one?) and that changed it to 10kmh over. Where can i get another speedo drive unit from, one that will read right? Also, if I had 80/85 profile tyres on it(ie stockers), would this fix the problem? Report
April 29, 200620 yr comment_115021 have u changed the diff to an auto diff or manual diff i herd that puts speedos out aswell Report
May 1, 200620 yr comment_115254 mr hardware, is it a definitive 10km or does it vary with speed? if it varies with speed i would be saying its either rolling diameter or a changed ratio. changing the profile of the tyre will only help if it works to reduce the rolling diameter. ie, your running 175/70r13 hmm just had a thought. i believe with ke70's the stock mags run a 175/70r13 wheras the steelies run a 165/75r13 now I'm not sure if these are actually a different size, but its possible they are and this is causing your problem. not sure what wheels your running, or what wheels the donor of the speedo drive was running but is worth a think. i know with our lada niva it was only about 5 mm taller and it made 10 km or so difference at 60 ill check now the rolling diameters of the two tyre sizes and post them up.. Report
May 1, 200620 yr comment_115255 hmm, just checked it out. a 175/70r13 tyre will have RR of 287.6mm or 1807.04mm circumference a 165/75r13 tyre will have RR of 288.85mm or 1814.9mm curcumference so when you're doing 70 mph it reads 70.3 mph :) not enough to be your issue. ok, other thought. try and get a speedo drive from a 4 speed and try that coz its probably what its come from either that or theyve taken one from a different model kexx but yeah, try get one you know is accurate and see if it helps as your g'box was likely upgraded from 4 to 5 speed :P Report
May 1, 200620 yr comment_115258 oh and btw i don't see how you wont pass a rwc as long as the speedo works :P Report
May 3, 200620 yr Author comment_115494 okay, that sounds reasonable. does anyone have any of these speedo drives? Report
May 16, 200620 yr comment_117825 I had the same problem sorta. My speedo read 20 over, then the needle slipped to 10 over, then again to 10 under. I just went to the wreckers, grabbed another cluster, pulled both apart and built one good one. Jon. Report
May 17, 200620 yr comment_117834 I picked one up from the wreckers for like $20 Its not hard. Jon. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now