Speedo

Mr Hardware

Members dont see this ad

No, its the original dash cluster.

I'm running 175/70/13s on stock KE55 wheels

I believe it's the original Borg Warner 4.11:1 diff.

I don't believe its the original gearbox. When I got the car the speedo used to read 20kmh over, and so the bloke i got it off (who is a mechanic) changed the speedo drive in the gearbox (apparently its the 'outer' one?) and that changed it to 10kmh over. Where can i get another speedo drive unit from, one that will read right? Also, if I had 80/85 profile tyres on it(ie stockers), would this fix the problem?

mr hardware, is it a definitive 10km or does it vary with speed?

if it varies with speed i would be saying its either rolling diameter or a changed ratio.

changing the profile of the tyre will only help if it works to reduce the rolling diameter.

ie, your running 175/70r13

hmm just had a thought. i believe with ke70's the stock mags run a 175/70r13 wheras the steelies run a 165/75r13

now I'm not sure if these are actually a different size, but its possible they are and this is causing your problem.

not sure what wheels your running, or what wheels the donor of the speedo drive was running but is worth a think.

i know with our lada niva it was only about 5 mm taller and it made 10 km or so difference at 60

ill check now the rolling diameters of the two tyre sizes and post them up..

hmm, just checked it out.

a 175/70r13 tyre will have RR of 287.6mm or 1807.04mm circumference

a 165/75r13 tyre will have RR of 288.85mm or 1814.9mm curcumference

so when you're doing 70 mph it reads 70.3 mph

:) not enough to be your issue.

ok, other thought. try and get a speedo drive from a 4 speed and try that coz its probably what its come from

either that or theyve taken one from a different model kexx

but yeah, try get one you know is accurate and see if it helps as your g'box was likely upgraded from 4 to 5 speed :P

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem sorta. My speedo read 20 over, then the needle slipped to 10 over, then again to 10 under.

I just went to the wreckers, grabbed another cluster, pulled both apart and built one good one.

Jon.