Alternator not charging

Jakedard

Bought new battery after last new battery died after 2 weeks of being connected only drove a little bit each week, new battery won't charge at all on old alternator so I bought a new and it had 3 terminals when the plug has 2. Either I rebuild the old one, see if it works or ʞ©$ɟ around with the new one. Can the voltage regulator if faulty, stop the alternator from charging? A lot of questions I know! I'm new to this please help

Members dont see this ad

Early Corollas had alternators with an external voltage regulator, with the regulator box on the engine bay wall.  Later Corollas had alternators, with the regulator built into the alternator itself.  It sounds like your existing alternator may have an internal regulator, & the replacement one, you've bought has an external regulator.  If you can take a picture of the terminal ends of the two alternators, we can probably work out what has happened.  The early voltage regulators used a cycling relay, whereas the internal alternator regulators are solid state. 

Put some pics up, & we'll go from there.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo
  • Upvote 1

Hi Jake,

Appears both your original & replacement alternator are both external regulator types.  The terminology is slightly different with terminal markings, from the Bosch to the Chinese replacement one.

Somewhere in your engine bay, is the original regulator, which should be best replaced with a new one, to suit the replacement alternator you have purchased.  

The common problems with these old alternators is that the brushes wear out, and reach the limits of the springs, pressing them against the slip rings.

Check out the typical alternator terminal identification listings at this website.

http://jasoceania.co.nz/sites/default/files/default_images/alternator Terminal identification guide.pdf

D+ on your old alternator is the dash charging warning light.  E on the replacement alternator is also the warning light.

F or DF is the field winding, which goes to the regulator.

B+ is the battery, which is the big terminal on your replacement alternator.

Just make sure the new alternator will mount & line up, before committing to buying the regulator.

The new matching regulator should have a lead on it that just plugs straight into the 3 terminal socket on the replacement alternator.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo
  • Upvote 1

Since the new alt is pretty much the same, does that mean I don't have to wire it up again? Just get a new reg with a 3 terminal plug and I'm set? What happens to the old 2 terminal socket? Still a bit confused haha 

Edited by Jakedard

Hi Jake,

Hopefully, the new regulator will come complete with a lead & 3 pin plug, to connect to the socket on the rear of your replacement alternator.  The existing lead with the 2 pin can be done away with, including your old external regulator.  It will depend on where your current external regulator is mounted in the engine bay, & whether the lead they supply with the new external regulator is long enough to reach the same mounting point of the existing regulator.

I did this conversion a year or so ago, when I put a HiLux 85A alternator with internal regulator, to replace the original 3K 35-40A Denso alternator with external regulator, so will be able to guide you through this.

Once you get your new regulator, post a picture of it, along with a picture of your existing regulator, & where it is mounted.  We can then nut it out fairly easily, as any wiring changes will all be at the regulator only.

Cheers Banjo

Hi Jake,

RHS directly behind the headlight is where mine was also. If you are going to mount the replacement one in the same position, (good idea), then hopefully the cable supplied with the new external regulator will be long enough to go down under the radiator, zip tied to the existing cable, to the alternator.

We'll await you advice & photos, once you have the new regulator.   What was the output "Amps" rating of the replacement Chinese alternator you have purchased ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I replaced the brushes and reg all went well then connected everything all together as soon as we put the negative on the battery one of the wires started smoking from the positive side, I chased the wire and it was the positive wire connecting to the alt, does that mean my alt is shorting? Or the brushes aren't in right causing it to arch? 

Hi Jake,

I'll need more info, or a sketch as to how you hooked it all up.   I didn't realise the replacement RE55 regulator you have purchased was not made by the Chinese company that produces the alternator.   The RE55 is a solid state Bosch regulator, designed for replacing faulty mechanic relay type external regulators.

large_2286_re55-2.jpg.33f7138ba016e8ae81e37fe20480436c.jpg      RE55 Solid State Regulator

It should work well, with your original Bosch alternator, to which I gather you have fitted new bearings & brushes.

There is probably a sketch on the internet showing how the RE55 is wired up.  I gather it has an aluminium case, which is earthed & into which the solid state regulator is "potted".

I believe as well as the case earth /ground/chassis connection, it just has 2 off spade terminals.

alternatorwiringdiagram.jpg.0ad2545c2e6740cefc85dc468912fee1.jpg

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo