Alternator not charging

Jakedard

Members dont see this ad

From that sketch, there's no third wire connecting from the engine block to the alt from a glance, but it didn't have a connection before either could it be earthed somewhere else? I'll have to have a real good look, do you recommend I see an auto sparky?

The alternator should be earthed or grounded by the fact that it is mechanically & electrically bolted to the engine block.  Usually, there is no need or reason to run an earth strap from the alternator to the chassis or engine block.

Edited by Banjo

I was talking to an uber driver last night he said there should be a rubber or thick washer between the positive terminal and alt so I'm gonna try put it back like that and see if something happens other wise I'll have a look and see what wires I can find 

Hi Jake,

Oppphs !    You just broke the golden rule.  When pulling something to bits, keep all the little bits together. After putting it back together, if there are any bits left, then make sure they are not essential.

The rubber or nylon washer on the alternator battery terminal bolt is crucial.

598d02190f5c2_Boschposterminal.JPG.8afb721ce48b53709e3b3eb89c897fee.JPG

The bolt is at +ve (12V) battery potential.  The case of the alternator is at -ve (GND/Chassis) potiental.  The little nylon sleeve you can see in the picture above insulates the two from each other.  However, if you connected the heavy battery lead, without the rubber washer, the terminal on the lead would short the bolt to the alternator frame; hence the smoking cable. You effectively placed a short across the battery terminals.  This connection point is critical. Place the rubber washer first, then a flat washer, no bigger in dia. than the washer; then a nut which should only be tightened just enough to squeeze the rubber down a little.  Then place another washer; the battery cable lug, another flat washer, a spring washer; and finally the second nut.

Your little mishap should have not damaged anything electrical, other than the smoking cable.

598d0407c5f4f_Newalternator.JPG.afe425f10b463ca6afbe38d9d3bd3211.JPG

If you look carefully at the replacement alternator, you can clearly see the black rubber or nylon washer at its battery post connection.

Let us know, when it is all back together & going well.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo