Help, What Motor is this 3k-C ???

Cali69Ke15

Hello, seeking some professional advice here. First of all I just want to thank this site and club for their knowledge and expertise. Been a Toyota hilux and stout  fan my wholelife and finally crossing/tapping over to the corolla/sprinter. I’m in the states California  to be exact and we don’t see much of the old sprinters if ever. Recently, I purchased a 1969 corolla sprinter from its original owner- a Toyota employee in Southern California. It has been garage dried stored for almost 3 decades. Prior to that it was used daily as a commuter. Said to be all original and a very nice story how it rolled off the Port of  Long Beach, Ca  in 1968 I hope to forward one day. Here are my questions I’m boggled with and hopefully someone can help..,

There’s a sticker on the head “3k-C”. The numbers on the head shows “24010 153”. The cast block number shows “K 0499822”.  The car has Air condioning which appears factory??? I am trying to order parts for a full engine rebuild but moreso very interested to find out if this is the original motor or parts and if period correct. The original owner was a Toyota dealer employee who had option within to custom order I suppose... the battery location differs from what I’ve seen on the web..? Do the block number naturally match the vin number in 1968 when built? Has the engine or head been swapped into this sprinter?  I read 3k-c didn’t appear until 1978,  Am I wrong? Was a/c an option or modified on? Please see pictures and help is possible. Thank you. More pics to come. It’s a project I hope to get on the road soon. 

9F5E1DF5-BD28-4292-A1B9-47038AE35B9D.jpeg

93DBE8FD-C244-4F3F-A5BA-FD3D78BFEF3A.jpeg

3DDB91EF-B151-420D-AD0F-2B81A5B8255F.jpeg

Members dont see this ad

hey cali. rest assured there are some experts on here who will point you in the right direcrion.

My limited knowledge is that k motors are completely interchangeable between heads and blocks, so we constantly find missmatching parts.

now ur 3k-c sticker is on the rocker cover not the head, and it is possible the cover is just a second hand replacement.

Now don't take this as gospel, but i beleive also that the 3k-c camr out in 1977. This vehicle is too early to have a 3k-c.

the 24010 head is an early bigport head and 

quoting another source

"does NOT have valve stem seals, and instead have double groove valves with o-ring and oil shedding umbrella thing"

(https://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/59544-Identify-3k-engine-by-engine-number&ved=0ahUKEwiT-Oe-jPnXAhWGipQKHTZVBSsQjjgINzAE&usg=AOvVaw26eJuSZeRh-CSjECuo_Tkd)

id say.. std 3k engine with a 3k-c rocker cover haha.

greetings from across the pond

Edited by rebuilder86

My understanding is that sprinters came out with the 3K B engine that had twin carbies with the water cooled manifold and the big port head. If you bought it from the original owner did it not come with the glove box hand books they are like a time capsule of information specific to the car. I am sure someone on here will be able to give you a definitive answer or point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the info rebuilder86! Yes on the  cover thanks for the correction. As I saw that sticker it  threw me completely off of what I’ve read and researched on the web..

Big G, yes I have the manual and on the wiring sheet and info the engine type reads “K-C” ??? 

Can anyone please shine in on the air conditioning and battery placement ? Was this an option?

C3F89B04-7B32-40F0-BA4E-C0C2FBF833ED.jpeg

If you look on that sheet you will see that the engine is supposed to be an 1.1 litre the 3k is a 1.2 litre. There is a bunch of info on Wikipedia that describes the k series engines from go to whoa. I'm sure there is a record of your engine number that you can reference for size. Does the engine number match the engine number in the owners manual. Typically the cars details are written down in that book on purchase.

Edited by Big G
Typo

yeh its just the K motor with k original bigport head. 
When u said the engine code on the block stated with a k  thats what made me think that, now I am certain as the model is stated there as a 1077cc!!!
https://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/K_Series/Blocks

The original first K motor!
Having a c on it probably means its just a bit worse than a standard k, so id suspect its just the carby is a bit leaner or something.
Plenty of room in that engine bay, and a 9:1 compression ratio, thats begging for a turbo. :P

Edited by rebuilder86

Welcome to Rollaclub, and congratulations on picking up such a lovely car.

The engine you have is a K engine.  If it was a 3K, it would say 3K ******** on the engine number stamped into the block.  Additionally, when your car was built, the 3K had not yet been fitted to production vehicles.  Having said that, the block is just one part of an engine, and it is possible that your engine has been bored & stroked by the later fitting of a 3K crankshaft to bring it up to 3K specs.  Might be worth measuring a few things before you go ordering pistons etc. 

There were K, KC and KB engines available from the factory.  The differences between a K and a KC are not clear to me, as the specs are essentially the same other than the ignition timing.  A "C" designation usually refers to a pollution spec, but the cam durations are identical amongst other things.  It may be something as basic as the KC having a crankcase rebreather setup, as on a K, the crankcase fumes were simply vented down a tube and onto the road.  As mentioned above, a particular improvement with the shift to the 3K was the addition of valve stem seals.

KB engines were quite a bit different, with increased compression 10:1 vs 9:1, a camshaft with more duration and I think different valve springs, twin down draft carbs with specific venturi and jet sizes (not just two random carbs from a K),  and a different exhaust extractor system.  KB engines were not available in the US I understand.

A 3K (and 3KB) first became available in 1969 and was fitted to KE17's which is basically your car with a 3K, along with some other subtle body changes.  Again, the 3KB did not go to the US

By now, almost 50 years later, you could have any combination of parts installed, so the 3K-C sticker on the valve cover may mean nothing, or hint at later modification.

The body number bears no relationship to the engine number.  There was no such thing as VIN numbers in those days.

Battery location should be front left corner as you look at the engine bay from the front of the car.

I have a wide range of period brochures from Japan, Aust and one from the US, as well as a comprehensive range of factory manuals and parts books (inc the USDM part book) from the time.  None of those mention airconditioning as an option that I could see.  BUT the USDM Owners Manual does talk about it. "Don't use airconditioning whilst sitting at idle or the engine may overheat".  Tells you something about the engine power output and load required to drive the aircon!  I would suggest you take lots of photos before and during any aircon dismantle so you can put it back together again.  Having said that, I would imagine there is a likelihood it is the same/close to the aircon fitted to the next generation Corolla which is well documented,, and I have a fitting manual for that.

My strong recommendation to you is to purchase the range of factory manuals for the car - body, chassis, engine. toyoglide (if its an auto).  They are readily available on ebay.  It is also worth having a later 3K engine manual for the differences mentioned.  The parts books are also invaluable as to how everything goes together and these occasionally come up.  I think the USDM market brochures are pretty common on ebay too.

You can also see some here: http://www.retrojdm.com/Search.asp?Make=Toyota&Model=Corolla&Show=Literature

look at the beautiful marketting in that brochure.

compare that to modern brochures, which are littetaly 10 pages of photos of people smiling using their Iphones!

interesting how they areleady had the same engine cutaway graphics (pg 10) attempts, that we have today using computer models. That spins me out.

Thanks for the info rebuilder86! Yes on the  cover thanks for the correction. As I saw that sticker it  threw me completely off of what I’ve read and researched on the web..

Big G, yes I have the manual and on the wiring sheet and info the engine type reads “K-C” ??? 

Can anyone please shine in on the air conditioning and battery placement ? Was this an option?

Wow, Thanks Parrot!!! The info provided is far more than what I’ve gathered for weeks of net surfing. Solid advice as well. I’m glad I was directed to this awesome club, I will definitely post some pics as the weather permits.

Thanks again!!!