Lower That Ke1x

Because i just put 14's on I thought Id better lower the front another Inch.

This mod should be done with Doug's strut insert mod as seen here:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7224

This is what I did.

You'll need ke20 or ke70 "top hats" (not sure if its the technical name but the

bit that sits ontop of the coil and below the strut tops.

Here is the ke10 verses a ke70 one. (ke10 on left)

top_comp.jpg

I then cut the top off the ke10 top hat and welded it to the top of the ke70 one.

top_move.jpg

so it looked like this:

top_done.jpg

Just so you know, ke20 strut tops can't be used in ke10 strut towers without

making holes, this way the ke10 strut top can be used with the modified

ke20 top hat.

so effectively i shortened my stut assembly but the difference in the two

shown in the first pic. It does unfortunately shorten the shock travel and

thats why doug's insert mod is a good one to do with this.

I've has the stuts in my car for a week and am very happy.

please feel free to give you opinions.

cheers

Scott.

Members dont see this ad

ke3/5x cars have larger diameter springs, so the top spring seat (or "top hats") from them is of no use.

ke70 springs are the same diameter as those on the ke1x and ke2x.

the ke2x top spring seats need no mods to be used.

ke3/5x cars have larger diameter springs, so the top spring seat (or "top hats") from them is of no use.

ke70 springs are the same diameter as those on the ke1x and ke2x.

the ke2x top spring seats need no mods to be used.

i put up a quick spring comparison here:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7433

You sure doug? I used the ke20 ones in my ke11 and it looked as it the spring seat wasnt going to rest on the bearing inside the strut top. Its true you could use any spacer i just used the ke10 part as i knew it was the exact right dia etc.

scott.

the ke2x top spring seats were on the struts in the ke16 when i got the car so i am not totally sure. maybe they were modded by pete before i got the car? it didn't stand out that they had been modded when i had them apart previously.

i was planning to take the leaves back out of my ke15 (was experimenting with them for a bit), and go back to the ke20 coils. i did have ke1x tops with massively cut ke2x springs, but was going to raid the tops from my ke25 to run longer springs lower when i get around to it. i'll know then for sure myself. :)

also something that could make things go together a little bit differently is that some ke1x have single bearing strut tops, and some have twin bearings.

i went and pulled the struts out of my ke11 today to try doing the same thing, it all came out all right but when i sat the drivers side spring next to the passangers spring the passangers one was shorter and had 6 coils instead of 7, is this right, the car seemed to sit level on the ground, i was planing to swap over to ke20 springs cut down 2" but i don't know which spring is the right height, the top hats are all goood and i am using ke20 ones but i think the bottom hat thing is to small for the ke20 springs but i might just have to be a little tight, and with ke20 top hats they allready have a small little thing on the top like on the ke11 strut tops but its shorter so do i have to cut this off first,

cheers james

also something that could make things go together a little bit differently is that some ke1x have single bearing strut tops, and some have twin bearings.

ahh... well there's a good point. all the tops i've dealt with are from later models 69 onwards...

i went and pulled the struts out of my ke11 today to try doing the same thing, it all came out all right but when i sat the drivers side spring next to the passangers spring the passangers one was shorter and had 6 coils instead of 7, is this right, the car seemed to sit level on the ground, i was planing to swap over to ke20 springs cut down 2" but i don't know which spring is the right height, the top hats are all goood and i am using ke20 ones but i think the bottom hat thing is to small for the ke20 springs but i might just have to be a little tight, and with ke20 top hats they allready have a small little thing on the top like on the ke11 strut tops but its shorter so do i have to cut this off first,

cheers james

maybe someones replaced the passenger side at some point with a cut one? have you still got your leaf spring in?

check here: http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7433

I'm pretty sure the ke10 one is standard.

the springs should sit in fine.

I thought the "little thing" on the ke20 top hat was too small and thats why i welded the spacer too it, but its possible it may be ok. does it contact with the bearing when put together? if it does and it rotates well then its good to go.

Scott.

• 2 years later...