Writing Resume

Well, i'm applying for a job online, and no job i've applied for before has required a resume (damned Maccas).

I've been looking on the net and shit for how to write one, but everyone seems to go right around the topic assuming the reader already knows the layout of it :)

So if anyone had any tips on how I could be writing this resume, it would be really helpful, I've never done it before.

Thanks heaps!

Dan.

Members dont see this ad

easy peasy Mr Dan :)

Its easier telling someone how to write it, rather than writing you rown, ive been meaning to do mine for a long time !!!

Basically its simple layout:

contact info/name/dob (if u wish), address, phone contacts.

you start off with a paragraph on what type of job you are looking for... and be specific here. for instance "I am lokoing to use my communications skills to contribute positively to a position best suited to my skills and experience. I would like to be a positive team member... " blah blah u get the gist.

Then u can write a paragraph about personal aims if you wish, such as buying a house, building your own business, gardening whatever LOL IF YOU WISH.

Then you work on tertiary/school achiements, whichever is newer, work within the last 3 years, depending on your age. For instance, if your 30, something u did when u were 20 is pretty much irrelevant, unless youve been in the same job/industry and its relevant to the position you are applying for.

Then go to work history, current/newest position first. Try to keep this also within the last 3 years. Employers don't want to sift through pages of crap :)

Then u go through hobbies if you wish to list some of those, or extra work stuff. Like if you took a course at TAFE for an interest subject (mechanics) for instance? you could put that in hobbies. Don't put "tinkering with cars" trust me :)

Then you can put referree's, its always best to include at least 3. Always put their relationship to you, previous employer, father, best friend etc. Best to keep them professional, or scholarily related. (if thats even a word)

Also its really neat if you can get a written reference or two to put in with your application. This could be from a team mate at a current or previous job, someone you have worked with closely in the past, or a previous boss. It will give any prospective employer an idea of what you are like to work with.

Before sending off your resume, re-read it once from your point of view.

Then re-read it from an employers point of view, and try and suck up a bit to convince them that you are going to be loyal and a hard worker.

and always include a covering letter/email :) explain what qualities YOU have would be useful to THEIR business :)