Ke55 K50 To Ke70

I read in the FAQ that this conversion requires re-cutting of the shifter hole. I was just wondering if someone could post some pics of before and after positions, and what was required to do so. Also, if anyone has a KE55 box in there KE70 could you tell me if its worth it in regards to the change in driving position? Is it better to hang out for a KE70 K50?

And is it possible to make a set of linkages so that the shifter can still come through the original hole without hacking?

Sorry for the noob questions, just been meaning to get around and pick some stuff up from adam but need to clarify this stuff first!

Thanks in advance!

Members dont see this ad

Shifter hole needs to be cut back about 6cm? from memorie. Gearbox mounts are also slightly different. But we got it working, eventually :)

Re: Ian on this form, his car was the one that we did it too.

Shifter hole needs to be cut back about 6cm? from memorie. Gearbox mounts are also slightly different. But we got it working, eventually :)

Re: Ian on this form, his car was the one that we did it too.

Hmmm, righto. Might need some extra expendable workers then :) Not too challenging though from the sounds of it and another gear will come in handy.

Cheers

If anyone else has anything to add, that'd be sweet.

Personally I'd try and get a KE70 K50 gearbox, as it doesn't require any change to the cross-member, shifter hole etc...plus, KE70s are more common at wreckers than 55s these days, and us poor schmoes in 55s would like it if you left all the KE55 K50s for us to get later down the track, as KE70 ones require mods to fit into the 55

Personally I'd try and get a KE70 K50 gearbox, as it doesn't require any change to the cross-member, shifter hole etc...plus, KE70s are more common at wreckers than 55s these days, and us poor schmoes in 55s would like it if you left all the KE55 K50s for us to get later down the track, as KE70 ones require mods to fit into the 55

I would get a ke70 K50 if I could find one and, if when I did find one it was a reasonable price. The wreckers up here have 4spds and an auto or two. Haven't found a 5spd Ke70 wreck yet :)

I have a KE70 5 speed at my house...We can swap extension housings if you like, just pay our own postage....From memory it was about $10 to post an extension housing, then you just throw my 5 speed extension housing on your gearbox, and it will bolt straight into your car.

I currently have a KE70 5 speed in my KE35, with a KE55 extension housing on it. So I know it works.

PM me if you are keen. It's really easy to swap the extension housing on the actual gearbox. I'd never attempted it before I did mine a few years back.

ians car...

DSC00811.jpg

said it was a bitch to change into first coz of hitting the front of the centre console thingy.

ont worth it. wait to get a ke70 K50 dude :lmao:

Edited by love ke70

• 2 weeks later...