HILUX DIFF FOR KE70

G'day lads and lasses. I'm relatively new to restoring cars (I've had a bit to do on some old kingswoods) but I am in the process of converting my ke70 into a speedway sedan. bigger engine, better gearbox, the works. I'm currently working out running gear for it and I'm looking at diff options. I've heard that the t18 diffs are a good option due their compatibility but I haven't been able to find any. my other option is a Hilux diff and as I want to do this properly I was chasing an opinion of someone more experienced. Could anyone tell me the best option (year, ratio) for a diff conversion. I'm pretty handy on the tools so I don't mind having to shorten it. I was just wondering where to start.

cheers

robbo

Members dont see this ad

How strong of a differential do you need? are you goin g for big power. Hilux diffs are extremely heavy, and i dont think is a wise chose ever. Really need to consider how much power you are going to make, and probably more importantly how what tire and how much of a moron you intend on driving. breaking diffs is not easy, even the oem one will put up with alot of abuse before it breaks. 

when considering ke70 diffs, remember they are the same as an ae86. here is my opinion of diffs

ke70 diff - quite strong for most NA engines, but no LSDs available. (Except i think some really really rare TRD racing ones)

ae86 Australian delivered diff - "S series" - drum brakes - no LSD options - some say weaker than the ke70 diff. but either way, not worth considering

ae86 Japanese diffs - "T series" - available with both drums and disc brakes - oem lsds available, and many aftermarket - the disc one is probably the best option for most small capacity NA engines and even high powered ones if driven with some mechanical sympathy. 

T18 diff - drum brake version of the T series above - came in the toyota T18 in Australia - good option too. bloody rare these days. 

T series from other cars - Celica's, coronas. my knowledge is limited, but its the same diff as the ae86. not sure if it physically bolts in - gotta be close. 

Above all bolt in to a ke70.  all the ones below are custom installs. cut off all the brackets, and weld on new ones in the right spot. 

Yr22 Torago diff - we put one of these in a mates ae86 many years ago - it takes an F series LSD from various oem Toyota cars from the 80s. i cant exactly recall. Altezza too I think. quite a big differential. huge drum brakes. really only suitable for high powered engines. You can put on disc brakes off some car as well some obscure corona or something. but finding one of these wont be easy, probably all been scrapped by now. 

Hilux diff - enormous diff - not sure on LSD availability. but think about it, its a diff designed to tow 3000kg caravans. could weigh 100kg. and a ke70 only weighs 800kg. just to big. 

R31 skyline diff. available with discs, a rubbish oem "cone" lsd. but there is an aftermarket KAAZ option. pretty good option for a ke70 i think. but all custom brakets etc. 

Volvos and alphas, i don't know to much about these, but there are plenty of 80s cars with live axel diffs that had LSDs, but its all custom. but i have seen volvo and alpha diffs used over the years. 

if you are really keen you can put any differential you like in, if you are happy to weld on the brackets in the right spot and get a custom drive shaft made. 

Remember you want the lightest differential possible that will put up with your task. as we are talking about unsprung weight here. the worst kind of weight. 

Also I haven't mentioned any diff lengths. that's one thing to consider with what wheels you are gonna run - physically fitting the wheels in the guards, as wel as legalities on track increase. You can shorten diffs, but you then need short axels etc. gets expensive fast. 

Yep, Celica T series are a bolt-in, check out The Girls KE70.

Also head to the wrecker & look at van diffs, they are stronger than a KE70 but lighter than a 4WD. All sorts these days, discs on them, 5-links or leaf, wider than a KE70, 20mm would be good.

As Dave says, you want it as light as you can for the job you're doing.