4k Worn Camshaft/ Valves?

Hey all just picked up a ke70 a few weeks ago, was a blast initially but during one very rainy night I developed a misfire and thought it was a spark issue but it turns out a push rod had come loose, I was very surprised that this had even happened and upon further inspection, all of the valve clearance adjustments on the rocker were extremely wound in to the point that there are only a few threads left and I even managed to strip one on the nuts trying to tighten it to spec. I'm assuming that the threads should not be wound in this much and thought that it must be compensating for all of the wear over the years on the camshaft and valves, would this be correct or is there another issue at hand, (the car has 280xxx kms). The photos below are how I found the push rod after taking the rocker cover off.

Cheers!

Jack

image_67221505.JPG

image_67515393.JPG

Members dont see this ad

Hi Jack,

Doubt very much that wear in the camshaft, or bearing wear, would cause that much tappet adjustment required.  Unfortunately, it's probably time for the head to come off, so you can take a good look at everything.  I'm presuming that the engine is a 4KC ?  There are several parts on K series engines, (3K, 4K, 5K) that are interchangeable, & others that are not !   In 280K klms, anything could have been swapping around. Rocker gear & pushrods maybe ?  Take the head number off the casting between no:3 & no:4 spark plug, & check whether the head was originally fitted to this 4K engine. Give us as much info about head & engine type & engine block number, & we might be able to start assisting.  First thing is get all those pushrods out, & see if any are bent, & what their end to end length is.  Measure their length, as they maybe not original. I believe Datto pushrods were commonly used on K Series engines that had hydraulic lifters, that were changed to solid type.

More info & pictures you post, the quicker someone on here, will spot your problem/issue.

Cheers Banjo

I have just pulled apart the spare engine that had come with the car, not sure if it is a runner but the push rods from my engine were 180mm long while the ones from the spare are 186mm. Do I have to take the head off to find the head number? And should I just swap these out and call it a day or is it better to look for any other mistakes that may have been made. Here's a photo of the different rods. The one on the right is from the spare engine.

Cheers Jack

image_67129089.JPG

It looks like you've nailed it Jack !    However, if someone who put this engine together previously; made that big mistake, there could be other issues or mistakes "lurking".  

I'd be pulling the head off, & taking a look. If you don't want to pull the head off, which allows You to check bore wear, at the top; valves & seats; & most importantly, the colour of the build up in the combustion chamber; then the very least, you should do, is a compression test. 

The head number is cast into the head on the outside of the head, between no: 3 & no: 4 spark plug holes.  It's directly up on the head, above the block serial number.

image.thumb.png.50cf88e13039e98d4854e3e2c723de79.png

Let's know what you find.

Cheers Banjo

Hi Jack,

According to the Wiki on Rollaclub, the No 3 Head is a standard head on a 4K engine, so looks like your head & block go together,, & somehow, it go fitted with a set of 3K shorter pushrods.

image.png.bd0fdc3feb47f1e781790d9ea5c74c1a.png

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo