KE55E vs KE55R ?

Hi all, I am very new to Corollas, having been a Mazda fan for 40yrs. So now I have aquired a KE55E with square headlights as a small project before I'm too old to do this anymore.. However, the grille is a bit stuffed and I am trying to find a replacement. The problem is I am soooo confused as to what to look for. My chassis plate says KE55E but when I search that I find nothing. I can find KE55R but only with round headlights. There seems to be quite alot of variations. Can anyone help out an old guy ? Cheers... Phil

Members dont see this ad

Hi Phil,

Welcome aboard, & we will forgive your 40 year Mazda obession !   Most of us on here, are also "obsessed".

I'm not familiar, with the "E" prefix on Toyota Corolla models, but on many early Japanese cars, the "E", usually designated, that the engine, had "Electronic" ignition; when electronic ignition, was new, & not in widespread use.

There are a few members on here that have, or have had KE55Es.  Just search the threads & you'll come across them.

Here are a couple of pics, from this website depicting KE-55s, with both round & square headlights, with the different grills.

image.png.c13f5ad7c80f68c061a45c0e59a5ac9b.png

image.png.e75de5ed3cf3e5600e9f49c88ad0e6f5.png

I had a KE55 2 Door pillarless, coupe with square headlights, which went to Corolla Heaven, after suffering severe cancer, of the rear upper quaters.  I'll dig out a picture of it later, & post it here for you.

I stripped it, when it was no longer roadworthy, & believe, I still have the square headligh grill stored away. My personal feeling is, that the square headlight versions, were the most attractive.  In fact, I liked the square headlight look, I converted my KE30 2 door sedan, from round to suare headlights.

Where are you located ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Both of my 55s have been the square headlight variant and can confirm the 'E' on the end of the chassis number banjo. Yes searching for it won't really turn up the results you want. The phrase "square headlight ke55" would probably give more success. 

Does your car have the long bumpers too?

Yep !  Big long bumper bars, that wrapped right around; front & back, just like this one.

image.png.704c935b72ee97dfe96729a85256b0ba.png

Mine had the big rubber strips on all the corners.  I just found an olde picture of Her, before the hidden rust set in.

image.thumb.png.85eac5563f32e2df12750ee971e2a883.png

Was a wonderful car, with a 5K & 5 speed manual GB.   R.I.P.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Col,

Well I'll be !   Truely an older sister. Same colour.  Same wheels; & by the looks of it, your's had a louver on the rear window, like mine ?

So what happened to yours ?  Did She suffer the same fate with cancer, as mine ?

Cheers Banjo

wasn't bad for rust, but it was resprayed a custom red after an accident. My uncle refused to paint it the original colour he hated it that much......

In the end I swapped it for a HZ ute (owned from new by my grandfather had 60000km on  it). Wish I still had both.

It was obvious from your pic, that your KE55 had been resprayed.  It couldn't possibly have been that shiny, after all those years. 

You've reminded me, that I have on my long list of things "to do"; that I must write a chronological list of all the cars I've owned or driven, for extended periods of time, including work supplied vehicles.  In my teens, I was very much into older English cars, as that was what my Dad & Brothers had.

Morris 6, Hillmans, & Morris Minors, & even a 100E & a 105E Ford Anglia.  It was not until I did two stints, working in PNG, over 10 years, that I became aware, how incredibly strong & reliable, Toyota vehicles were.  I lived in the highlands where everyday roads, were so bad; 4 X 4 enthusiasts down south, would drive hours to get to conditions like that.  It was everyday for us.  Being just below the equator, rainfall was high, & often roads became unpassable with slips & the likes.  I used to carry a slab of beer in all my vehicles. If I got really stuck, I would tell the locals, the slab of beer was theirs, if they picked up the car, & got me to the other size.  It worked every time, except once.  I had an early Subaru.  They carried me across a swollen river, but put the car down about 10 metres out from the bank, where I could drive out.  The water was about 1/3 way up the doors.  Unfortunately, the pressure of the water, under the car, popped the boot seal around the gear stick, & the car filled with water, up to my seat.

Cheers  Banjo

Nothing as exciting as that in my history.

Started, like all my mates in Corollas. Had the above KE35 in many many states of tune. 

As mentioned, swapped it for a HZ ute. The Corolla was used by the old man as a trade in on a Patrol.

Traded the HZ in on an ED Futura as the ute was killing me with fuel costs and the missus hated the ute.

Then purchased a new VY Berlina wagon, with lots of options. Loved that car but needed to offload it when bubs no. 4 came along.

Now on my 2nd Carnival - great cars.

Also in the mix have been a couple if Ford Festivas and a KE20 club car. Not counting all of the wrecks bought to keep the KE20 alive.