Bigport ECU with Razorback

Hi everyone. Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, I'm new to 4AGE's. 

I have fitted a 4age smallport with turbo to a Datsun 1200( previously a rotary). It has a bigport ECU. My issue is I have had it running with COPS, only on 2 cyls. I have now gone to a Daewoo twin coil pack and all plugs are firing. But I cannot get it to start, even using a starter spray. Has anyone used these ECU's with the Razorback piggyback controller? I have searched for a contact info of the guy who made these controllers, but no luck. 

I would be grateful for any info  that may help with this. 

Thanks in advance. 

Ps, I love Toyota engines, this is not the 1st Toy engine I have fitted to a 1200 coupe. 

Darryl 

Members dont see this ad

Have you had it running with a stock coil on the ECU only? I thought mixing bigport and smallport ECUs wasn't a good thing. I don't know if that is because they have different ways of handing cam timing & ignition, the distributors have different toothed wheels in them between the VAST and the ESA systems.

I suppose you need to confirm ignition timing and injection timing to start with, if you can get it running on the stock setup at least you know the rest of the system like the wiring is good, The try the Razorback  and make it work before trying the COPs.

I'll know more when I finally get around to fitting a Haltech to replace my bigport ECU, or I'll be asking you for answers....

Razorback! that is a name I haven't heard for a long time. I remember meeting the guy who made them, a lonnnngg time ago. I found some posts from about 2006 on some forums on a google, and yep that's about when I met him. Bought some parts off him for my 4age ke70, way back when.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2077

Unless you can figure out the razorback yourself I think its not really worth pursuing - and without it being in front of me theres not much I can do to help. Piggy back ecus have always been a bit iffy, lots of guessing that whilst in the day the razorback was a neat bit of kit, without support (is there even still a website? manuals? I cant find any) it might be a bit hard to get anywhere. how do you tune it? does it have a hand controller?

Is it still running a map sensor? if so is it suitable for positive pressure? (for your turbo). 

Something like a Haltech platinum sprint 500 might be worth looking at, they can be had real cheap second hand - couple of hundred bucks . very basic ecu these days, but more than enough to run a 4age. But you'll need to make a new loom, which would really tidy things up - but again, 4age is quite simple. 

How are you triggering the oem ecu? The bigport and smallport distributors and trigger patterns are wildly different. 

If you are getting spark of some description, and not getting any life out of it with starter spray that tells me that the ignition timing is miles out. id get a timing light, put it on injector one and see where its firing in regards to top dead centre. should be about 10 degrees before top dead Centre whilst starting.

Where do you live? 

Edited by ke70dave