Ke70 Vacuum / Emisions System Hoses

Members dont see this ad
If I'm not mistaken anything pre 1985 doesn't require these emissions hoses as long as it passes the exhaust emissions testing..

I thought it was a fine of like $2000 per cylinder for modifying the emissions output of a car from the EPA....

Edit...errm...quoted the wrong thing :P

i think you will find you would be legally required to meet the ADR requirements of the year of manufacture.

think the ADRs started in the early/mid 70's. 1974???

my 73 HQ holden was pre emissions. PCV system only.

75 ke30 ADR plate, but not much in the way of emisions gear.

the earlier ke1x series have a simple dump pipe for crankcase emissions. all the blowby is directed down the gearbox tunnel under the car. it's so complex :P

haha...sorry, just wanted to try that smiley !

really so long as you do things neatly to pass a visual you should be fine. just make sure anything that needs to be plumbed into the airfilter still is if you change to an aftermarket item. ballbearings work good in vacuum lines.

ADRs started in 1972

the 72-75? (maybe 78) K emissions system consisted of a pcv plate beneath the carb, pcv valve on the rear of the rocker cover, tube from the middle of the rocker cover to the air cleaner housing, timing cover with crankcase vent, going to another pcv valve bolted to the block, connected to the air cleaner housing, and with a hose to the transmission tunnel

whoever told you that it's legal to remove the emissions gear from any car is incorrect. any modifications to emissions need to pass EPA tests to prove the car is equal or better to the original standard. technically it's illegal to have your vac lines blocked up with ball bearings too, or a 3k carb with the 4k stuff bolted to it so it looks like it's original, but who's going to check :P f@$k, it's technically a defect to put a pod on a new(ish) car without an engineering cert

in queensland they do roadside emissions tests, much like an RBT for your car. that being said, fook had his gsr put through one of them, with no cat, and it passed so they can't be too strict

i've personally found that without a pcv valve and plate, my oil is f@$ked and black within 150 miles. with the pcv system intact (however, chrome filter on middle rocker cover hose, 4k timing cover with no vent) my oil stays cleaner a hell of a lot longer

thats because you're sposed to tune your idle with the air filter on :fuzz: the air moves a heap differently at idle without a filter on, hence the idle characteristics change. the stock element flows fine, just the snorkel housing isn't helping things, hence why i cut mine up :P

the idle bits aren't that hard to get to, even in our little ke2x engine bay. it's way too cramped to get a screwdriver in there, i find it's a million times easier to twiddle the mixture and idle speed screws with a 5c coin, i keep a few in my ashtray for this purpose