How To Get More Power From A 4k-e

mikeys toy

i have a 1969 corolla wagon; i welded up the side windows, installed a 1983 toyota starlet 4ke and 5 speed, i put air and cruise in it and also a 1974 corolla wagon rear axle, but i have never seen another axle like this one

my question is; how do i get more power out of the injected 4ke without sacrificing drivability?

also my milage and power are way down since moving up to a higher altitude. anyone know about a fix for this

my 5 speed is really noisy in all but 4th....fixes anyone?

thanks for the help

Members dont see this ad

:D thanks, "mate"

i am in the us; i moved to texas from california, so there is no such thing as a 5k here. i was looking at info on a 7k, but i don't know how to get one over here, not to mention i don't have money.

"extractors"? i am assuming that's what we call "headers"...i wish i could find some...there is a set on ebay for a 70-74, but that's a ke 20 and i don't know if they will fit my chassis.

i have a turbo from a 88 dodge colt (mitsubishi mirage) i am just hoping it will work on this application.

right now i have some head issues as this one has been shaved what too much; compression is not a problem, but the rockers had to be shimmed to get the pushrods in...i am losing a LITTLE oil pressure from there

i have a good head, but it's 1,400 mi away.

thanks again, i appreciate ALL advice i can get.

also for the trans; EVERY k50,51 and now this k60 have bben noisy then failed. the k 60 is noisy in EVERY gear. The k51 i am currently running is noisy in all but 4th. i was thinking it might be the needle bearings in between the input shaft and mainshaft.

also would'nt a cam mess with the airflow system of the ecu?

i have 2" exhaust going into a stock Chevrolet Camaro V-8 muffler coming out in duals

i tend to burn #4 exhaust valves, so i run them a little loose

well, with the rear gears(4.30 i think) i am always running at 4,000 rpm. running the valves loose cured my burning prob.

all of the transmissions had at least 150,000 miles on them, I always kept them full.

the k60 did not make noise in the doner car; but i tried changing the front/rear seals for good measure, but could not get the front retainer off. i may have tried a little too hard, now it is noisy. thrust? endplay? backlash?

not really happy running a 4grand all day every day(especially with so much trans noise) the exhaust is not a true dual, but exits dual...it's kinda loud.

well i just bought an extractor off e-bay for 79.47 usd. we will see if it fits....

also , i wonder if i could do a service to you guys by getting parts out here.

i am buying a '77 dr (te3x or te4x) 3tc auto, factory a/c, maybe power steering. let me know what you might need.

the gearbox problem or nosie is caused by the lay shaft bearings,the reason it's quite in 4th only is that the lay shaft isn't used, it's a straight drive through when in 4th.the lay shaft is used in 5th as well. the only fix is to pull the box down and replace the bearings, but check the shaft for wear as well, up until a couple of years ago you could buy new shafts with bearings from toyota for about $90.

not sure about now!

if you don't know what the layshaft is, it's the first set of gears you see when you remove the pan off the gear box.

hope that helps.

that's expensive, try the afermarket bearing manufactures, and then just buy the layshaft from toyota if needed, or contact mr revhead, he might beable to get them a lot cheaper and frieght them to you.

just a thought.

here in AUS you can buy all the bearings aftermarket for about $200 aud

and the layshaft is about $40 dollars and thats Aus dollars.

i can price it up for you if you want?

This layshaft that you are discussing is for a k50 box right?

Just need confirmation on this, as i have a k50 box that i broke two teeth off the second gear. I was under the impression that it's pretty much scrap metal now.

But if your talking about replacement layshafts - that would make me a very happy man.

i've never chipped any gears; i'll just be driving along, and all of a sudden i got nothing, like it's popped outta gear

then i have limp home in 4th, the only gear that'll work

i JUST yesterday went to a toyota dealer and priced all bearings for under $350