Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Working Out Speedo Calculations

Featured Replies

I'm trying to work out my speedo calibration at the moment, and I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if I haven't been to school for too long, or maybe I'm right and my original speedo is very off.

 

Basically, I'm assuming my speedo is calibrated for a 4.11 diff. I'm now running a 4.77. I have a terratrip, so have speed readings from that, and basically I know that in comparison to my current speedo, it reads a bit like:

 

real speed - speedo

60 - 80

70 - 90

85 - 110

100 - 130

110 - 140

 

Or something like that anyway.

 

Now, ignoring that information, I tried to work it out from a mathematical point of view. So I'm guessing it would be:

 

(speedo reading) = ((real speed) x 4.77) / 4.11

 

Is that right? I tried to match it up against the graph that my in-gear-calculator-excel-file-thing makes, and it seems right. But this formula brings up:

 

real speed - speedo

60 - 69

70 - 81

85 - 99

100 - 116

110 - 128

 

These readings are quite different to what I'm getting at the moment, unless my current speedo (assuming I was running a "stock" 4.11 diff) is about 10km/h out? When I was running the stock 4.11 diff I did remember comparing it to the Terratrip and thinking it was pretty much on the money... And if my speedo readings are right, then the speedo would be calibrated for a 3.67 diff...

 

Unless...

 

The T50 gearboxes I've been using have had different speedo gears in them? Maybe that's it. Cause I've changed gearboxes since too...

you have to allow for the rolling Circumference of the tyre as well.

 

i think!!!!

use a tire-to-speed calculator. but don't go off tyre size, measure the actual raduis or circumference of the tyre, i've found my "185/60"s are more like a 185/62 or /63, though no doubt that will change as the tyre wears more

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.