The One That Made It To The U.s.!!

Ok ............ here it goes. The original owner was a farmer somewhere in Austrailia. He at some point had sold it to a female college student, who didn't like the car after buying it and sold it to the previous owner's friend of 30 plus years. That guy had owned it for years and sold it to the previous owner who ran the car for many more years. He loved the car sooooooo much he brought it back with him to the USA in 1996. That brings us to now. I'm the 5th and current owner (and damn proud of it) and I'm gonna try my best to get this car back to factory original!! It remains right hand drive and is in complete original condition except for the 1997 paint job, which is fairly well faded. (6 hours of buffing took care of most of the fading) I'm now trying to figure out a way to see how many are actually in the USA. I would guess not many. It draws alot of attention everywhere I take it!! It's part of the family now!! This car will never be a trailered car even after the complete restoration is done. I promised the previous owner this and I personally don't believe in building a car with blood, sweat and tears to have sitting idle!!! It's a car very deserving of it's time on the road and as such, it will be!! This is my first older import car of any kind. I've built many drag cars, custom cars, done resto's ........ all on American cars. I decided to go with something different that not everyone will see. I think ....... I KNOW I've found the candidate. I've learned soooo much from this site already and I can't thank all of you enough for such a great site and the info and help I've recieved so far!! This is a 1967 Toyota Corolla KE10. I'm very happy to own such as piece of automotive history. It's all original as far as I can tell except for the paint which was done by the previous owner in 1997, which was one year after he brought it back to the States with him. :P

post-4014-1185332315_thumb.jpg

post-4014-1185332369_thumb.jpg

post-4014-1185332419_thumb.jpg

post-4014-1185332474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Redwarf

Members dont see this ad

Looking good mate. Thats a first or me, a car getting imported from Aus to the US and not the other way around.

Not much needed now, personally i'd go for some whitewalls.

Do you have any interior shots??

I doubt they actually came with white walls but you can actually put on additions that make it look classic. Like that sun visor that's on it now, I don't think it was original but an after market item. Another thing you could get is a rear venetian blind. They are HOT!!

Check out Rol-110's profile... http://www.rollaclub.com/database/ride.php?carid=0000167

And even better pics in his for sale thread... http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11669

Thanks JiP 01. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I did see a brochure somewhere on the net that did infact show the sunvisor on the car. Is it a factory add on? Like an option?? I don't know. There's alot I don't know about these cars but I'm learning thanks to the vast info here!! Your KE11 is sweet!!! Nice !! :P

Hello from jOklahoma! There's me with a KE18 and a sisterluvin hippie from Arkansas with a built KE10 on this board.

I would suggest a 4KE 1.3l Starlet swap for a little extra ummmph without spoiling the look. There should be MANY rotary Starlet swaps in your area to get the stock drivetrain from.

I have 6 Sprinter 12" wheel covers as well as 3 of Daisy's original 12" wheel covers.

Edited by mikeys toy

Thanks!! radrollaz ..... it is going to be 100% factory original BUT I am keeping the add on's on the car as that's how I recieved it and it seems fitting to keep them there. (even the Aus. coins will remain in the ashtray!!) I'm shooting for a 3 month ground up resto for this car. It's really solid and needs very little. A good media blasting and paint (original of course) and a wee bit of interior work, a rebuilt drivetrain and it should be good. I'm trying to accumulate as many parts as I can to make this happen. The car is enjoying the good life right now. It's entered in a few parades and car shows, and it is the talk of many cruise-in's locally. It gets it's fair share of road time as well. :n:

Just out of curiosity, whats the dealio with registration of RHD cars over there...? I'm aware that its nigh on impossible bar a scant few excepted Japanese and British personal imports, but are classic cars a different kettle o fish?

Over here we can import and register LHD vehicles over 30 years old for full unrestricted road use... does the US have a similar arrangement?

Just out of curiosity, whats the dealio with registration of RHD cars over there...? I'm aware that its nigh on impossible bar a scant few excepted Japanese and British personal imports, but are classic cars a different kettle o fish?

Over here we can import and register LHD vehicles over 30 years old for full unrestricted road use... does the US have a similar arrangement?

As far as I know, there are no restrictions on any RHD vehicle. I know of a few people who have imported Honda's and Toyota's brand new just to get the RHD. The only thing is that the Motor Vehicles Department must have a record of the cars' make and model on a list as available for import in the US. My car, for example, is a 1967. They had to register it as a 1968 since that was the first year for importation of the Toyota Corolla here in the States. We never had a chance to get a '67 or even an early model designated as a '68. There are other cars which are RHD here which you see at car shows (very rarely)and they were never imported. Those cars are allowed to be registered as they are with the correct year as they are considered collector cars. I'm gonna do alittle more research and see if there are any restrictions at all. :n:

Edited by right_hand_corolla