June 22, 200521 yr comment_52377 Hey Group, I just bought a 69 KE15 sprinter to play with. It is in pretty good shape and I'm trying to build it to run autox. The k motor is in fair shape needing minor tune-up and carb rebuild. I found a 3k that had been rebuilt recently with a new clutch and good looking carb with all components attached. The plan is to drop the 3k in and try to get as much out of it for as little $$ as possible. Is there any benefit to using the k head on the 3k block or will everything stay the same compression wise. I plan on trying to get the head ported as well with either of the two. Maybe try it myself on the k head and see if I can manage to make it work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, g Report
June 22, 200521 yr comment_52417 which "k" head are we talking about here.... 4K head on a 3K block will lower compression....best to keep the 3K head on it and port it out.... Report
June 22, 200521 yr Author comment_52418 It's just the straight k-c motor that came stock in the spinter. Report
June 22, 200521 yr comment_52421 1080cc (?) K motor. They usually had the big port head on them. Put the K head on the 3K motor. :) For other hints, do a search through here, there has been a lot said about these beasties. R Report
June 22, 200521 yr comment_52423 Super Jamie's FAQ page is also excellent, as is the Wiki which you will find a link to at the top of the page. Happy reading! R Report
June 22, 200521 yr Author comment_52424 I don't know how I missed the last link/page. I thought that I had found every site on the net that had to do with the ke1X series. These are some that I thought were very helpful http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/engine.html http://t-rex.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/ http://www.geocities.com/jonnyr_1973/ http://au.geocities.com/ke1x/ http://www.superjamie.net/oldcorollas/ Thanks for the heads up. I am sure that you will see more on this. I may just try the other head for fun to see what it does. Thanks again, g Report
June 22, 200521 yr Author comment_52425 :) I just saw the link at the top of superjamies page, didn't think to lllok there before g Report
June 22, 200521 yr comment_52433 cc the k-c head, and work out the compression before you put it on, you don't want to end up with 13:1 compression or something like that. a better idea is a 4k engine with 3k head i'll try work it out for you when i get home tonight Report
June 23, 200521 yr comment_52455 k engines had smaller valves in original form. i'd work the 3k. a better idea would be to start with a 4k or 5k if you can find one. a tough 5k is quite quick in a little ke15 :) i've worked through a progression of engines in varying states of tune in my ke15. from the weazy stock k to a warm k, a mild 3k, a warm 4k, and now a grunter 5k. the k engine was always flat out keeping up with traffic, zero torque. the 3k quite fun in a revvy way, but no torque. the 4k actually way more exciting than i expected able to embarass a hell of a lot of cars it really shouldn't have, for the $$ invested. and now the 5k, which just does everything with ease, like driving up the mountain where i lived, loaded up with family and gear, able to pull 4th gear the whole way...torque is good. make sure to update your brakes, mine had drums on it standard. with ke30 discs it stops as quick from 140km/h, as what the drums did from 80km/h. Report
June 23, 200521 yr comment_52456 My old race head is a K head wich we stuck larger valves into, as I think my current head is, too. I forgot about that, good point Doug. Report
June 23, 200521 yr comment_52503 k head on 3k gives about 9.7:1. if it's got smaller valves, then ditch it. you'd also need to spend alot of money having hardened valve seats put into it, so you can run premium unleaded Report
June 23, 200521 yr comment_52526 If it is a true K-B motor then it already has 10 to 1 CR. The K-B head on a 3K motor should give 10.7. So how do you tell if it is a true K-B - check the inlet manifold face on the head to verify if there is a water hole to the inlet manifold, should be below no 4 inlet port. Look after the gasket as I imagine they might be hard to get these days. The other differences that you might explore - the lighter K-B flywheel and the K-B camshaft with the extra 10 degrees duration, an 18/58 vs 16/50. Report
June 23, 200521 yr comment_52534 we knew about the cams, but interesting about the flywheel. what are the weights of each? i had a stock 4k-c flywheel lightened for my car, it ended up weighing 7kg Report
June 23, 200521 yr comment_52555 hehe..just want to ask...if i have, let say tighe 104 cam on my 3k, would it have same or better respone if i fit it into 4k or 5k.? their all fit right? Plug and play method right? :) Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now