My 5K Ke35!

jono1986

Hey, thought i'd upload some pics of a project that i've started. I bought the car from a mate for $400 and it didn't start when i first went to pick it up cause of a dodgey starter motor, they got it rebuilt and started first turn of the key. Had some exhaust noise and economy wasn't that great, so about 30 bucks later it was running sweet. During the whole time though it had an oil leak or leaks, so i thought i'd pull it apart and do a gasket and seal change, and also do a auto to manual conversion.

post-9470-1257153612_thumb.jpg

Picture shows some damage to the door, the previous owner's daughter left the door open and it rolled into a tree :) , but 1 hour and a block n tackle all fixed :(

post-9470-1257153658_thumb.jpg

Oh and this is when it first got to my house, so it wasn't clean yet

will upload more photo's later, just got the motor back together and back in the car, but of course the gearbox mounts don't line up at all.....so will have to make something up

Edited by jono1986

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice project mate welcome to Rollaclub, hope to see more progress of the beasty.

I had a similar problem with my KE35 when i was doing a 4 speed manual to 5 speed from a ke70. The mounts didn't line up either but all i had to do was just re drill the holes and it fitted. But seeing as you are going from auto to manual I'm not sure if the same applies though.

Edited by crispyke35

Thought i'd upload more photo's of 'the beast' :)

post-9470-1257330381_thumb.jpg

Just of the front again

post-9470-1257330395_thumb.jpg

post-9470-1257330407_thumb.jpg

post-9470-1257330420_thumb.jpg

post-9470-1257330432_thumb.jpg

post-9470-1257330444_thumb.jpg

This is the piston i was just 'looking' at, crack goes all the way through the shell and there is another one an inch to the right of it :)

And some Upgrades

post-9470-1257330453_thumb.jpg

45mm Sidedraft weber, just going to try it out. pretty sure just going to get some made induction noise :rock:

post-9470-1257330468_thumb.jpg

And this is an electronics/auto project i have going, its a Programmable ignition system, on the left is the "central unit" and on the right is the controller to program it, joins onto a 'power transistor' thing to run a big coil and you can also add a knock sensor but i'm not sure i'll install one yet, will upload lots of info of that later

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys thought i'd put a small update in, I've finished rebuilding the motor and installed the gearbox the first time! yes i was reading an article about an hour after i installed it and one little word came up 'spigot'....i forgot the spigot bearing for the new manual setup, so after pulling it out again, breaking a few clutch cover plate bolts, and installing it again we got it running. Was running really dodgey, so we tweaked with the distributor and it started to sound better until the dome welsh plug blew out from the head :) , so after all the stuff ups we got it running and was driving around testing each of the gears. Had an ingenius bracket made up for the gearbox mount which consisted of an extension bar and some fencing wire :y: :wink: So after testing the gearbox i drove it to a mates work and he helped/did it himself a new bracket up....i think it might be strong enough... :y:

post-9470-1258543425_thumb.jpg

post-9470-1258543477_thumb.jpg

I'll have more updates tomorrow or over the weekend as i finish the tunnel area....

• 4 weeks later...

Another update, some more photo's cause i know you haven't seen a ke35 before :y: :)

yay engine all in and running absolutely sweet as, extremely happy with it. and the 4 speed is making me heaps happy before, also with better compression and all new stuff i feel torque where there was no torque before

post-9470-1260675425_thumb.jpg

Thought i'd jazz up the dash a bit with some flat aluminium paint around the dials, and also took out the clock that didn't work and replaced it with a cheap tacho, which i regret. Am thinking of going a custom dash with electronic inputs ie speed input and stuff like that

post-9470-1260675480.jpg

haven't finished this part yet, gotta put some metal over the tunnel and get a custom boot made up from a guy at work.

post-9470-1260675664_thumb.jpg

oh and this is my boot setup, nothing special but it does the job :D

post-9470-1260675524.jpg

Was going to get some body work and a paint job done, but i just got offered a place at flinders so i have to put it off for now...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thought i'd share an update, car is going so well and love it som much more than i originally did. But on my drive home yesterday i saw the car that i wanted about 5 years ago, I've been looking at for sale threads on the forum and was wondering what a good price to sell this car would be??

• 6 months later...

Thought i'd have an update, has been a while. Just had the car tuned and is running so sweet, and now i'm onto some projects for it. Both of the ones i'm working on are the result of boredom whilst on holidays, one of them is reasonable and the other is 'just cause'!

This one is an Accessory, Ignition and start switch panel with LED back lighting and Status LED's for ignition and accessories. It will fit in the centre console just behind the gear stick with relays located underneath the dash to switch the original wires.

post-9470-1279867908_thumb.jpg

And this is a VR dashboard, and this is just 'cause i can' sort of thing. It has turned into something quiet complicated as well the dash is for a V6 not a 4 cylinder, the speed sensor needs to be electronic, the temp sensor is the easiest (just plug and play) and the hardest of all is the Fuel level sender. The fuel level resistance difference between a VR and a corolla is that it is inverted on the VR and of higher resistance, Guageworks say they can recalibrate the system for 90 bucks but i reckon i can design some electronics to do it for me. Also i'm using this dash cause it has no CAN connections and it's quiet simple. (this is at the cutting edge of complete boredom, and being pov). If people are interested in this conversion I will do a write up, AND it doesn't have to be a commodore dash, just one without CAN connections as it is much simpler to convert.

post-9470-1279867924_thumb.jpg

Wow....just fitted a new driver 1/4 panel and front lip....JEEZUZ that was so much more difficult than i thought. Had to move the door like 5 times then the front lip was different to the one that was on there, but all good and so happy with the result. I'm getting a massive love hate relationship with this car, but it should pay off in the end. Here's a pic of it now, it's taken from that angle cause i had to rest the phone on the ground.....so sleepy...

I'm replacing that door so I might just spray paint that strip white to get rid of it.

post-9470-1279958320_thumb.jpg

Edited by jono1986

Another update on the Rolla, just fitted lower springs to the front last night. Much better than before, but not too much of a drop. Gonna fit some new ignition bits very soon, hopefully.

Here's a before an after pic, SO happy with how far i've come with it.

post-9470-1280473794_thumb.jpg post-9470-1280473829_thumb.jpg

Edited by jono1986