Nikki Carb On 4k

demuire

I bolted on Haikals Nikki carb onto the wagon today, the carb is either off a Mazda 808 or a 1600, not sure. Anyway, everything bolted up alright, I even found a random bracket lying around in my pile of junk that I could use as a throttle cable bracket, the only cable that isn't really ideal is the choke, but it wasn't before anyway. The end of the sheath isn't clamped down, and I can't think of anyway to clamp it down.

Anyway, after having some dramas trying to set the floats etc, everything seems to be good. Don't have an air filter yet (Autobarn sold me the wrong filter and then closed before I could return it, GAH), so put a piece of chux over the top and went for a drive.

Part throttle, the car is okay, much the same as usual. Once it gets up the revs, or you try to go to full throttle, it seems to run too rich and it sputters... Is this the mixtures that is wrong? Or is it the jet sizes?

I know nothing about carbs...

There's a brass screw thing on one side that sticks out, with a spring on it. I would assume this is idle control? Turning it in or out doesn't seem to do much... Or is it a mixture control? I can't see any other obvious screws that I can muck around with...

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These extracts were taken from this page Tuning

It actually for a weber/dellorto, but i assume the theories are the same.

If the engine stumbles when you open the throttle, it could be a pump adjustment, but it could also mean a main jet change. Pay attention to STEADY throttle position when testing in these areas! It's easy to confuse the two. If the main jet doesn't solve it, try the pump. If it runs good at 3000-4000 rpms and stumbles elsewhere, your main is right and the problem is somewhere else. Try to do main jet testing from 1000 RPMs up to 4000 or so. This eliminates the accelerator pump issue from your testing!

Spitting/sputtering/cracking is an indication of being too LEAN. Now, what RPMs that it's doing this tells you which jet you need to change! 2000 RPMs and lower, and you need to richen up your idle jet (go bigger). 2500-4000 RPMs and you need to richen up your main jet!

We want as little accellerator pump squirt as possible to remove the stumble from the engine.

Carby is running great now, just had to muck around with fuel mixtures a bit but it's running now. Don't know if it's running optimally, but it runs and that's what's important for now.

PROBLEM

I can't find an air filter to fit. I've been to every single shop in Ipswich now, and NOBODY sells an air filter that would fit. 2 places told me I'd have no chance in hell, because nobody makes them so I'll just have to get the stock one and try to get it to fit, or custom make one. That's just SHIT.

The carby has no threaded stalk in the middle like most other carbies do, and it's a 70mm top. I think Gemini's are like, 80mm or 90mm or something. All the ones I could find today were about that, or much much smaller (strombergs).

So yes, any ideas??? Else, it's just going to get a piece of cloth over it and hope for the best, until I can find something that might remotely fit. Have also thought of cutting a ring out of MDF to custom fit a Gemini one on, but that's just dodgy. Less dodgy than a piece of cloth though...

Any chance of a pic of both your air filter, and the top of your carby.

I had to stuff around fitting a piece of PVC pipe as a spacer between my aisan carby and weber airfilter to ensure that it cleared the accel pump lever arm.

So maybe i might be able to think of something.

No, went to two Autobarn's today, and after giving me the Gemini carb (why is it the moment I say "Nikki" they give me a Gemini filter???) and me telling them no, that's not right, they look at me, laugh, and wish me luck. Went to AutoPro, went to 2 other Supercheaps, went to another Repco. All the shops I've been to have told me that nobody makes a filter to suit (even though the Ramflo cataloge does list it, but they don't make it anymore apparently)

So yes, gave up trying to find a filter that fits. Went looking for a PVC pipe or something to fit, but PVC pipes don't appear to come in 70mm, only in 65, 75, 80, 90 and 100mm. Bugger. What I did manage to find however, is a metal duct that is 75mm, but tapers down on the end, to... 70mm!!! So bought a hose clamp (which is what the Ramflo filter for the Gemini had), will trial fit it tomorrow. If it works, I'll cut up a sheet of steel and rivet it to the duct, and use the stock paper filter as an element. Then use a bolt or a threaded rod and offset it so that it sits next to the hole, and use that to clamp the top on. In my head, it works. I hope it does in real life too :(