Resetting Of Ke10 Leaves....

mattress

Ok guys the first thing i decided to sort out while rebuilding my KE10 is the suspension. Maybe a dumb idea but anyway its been started so theres no stopping now.

I recently spotted a guy in town (only other KE10 i know of where i live) and had a big chat to him about his car. He recommended i didnt go any lower than 30mm all round. He said he has removed a leaf from his transverse leaf and his shocks bottom out at 30mm lower than standard. He also told me to have the eyes on my rear leaves rolled underneath and reset so the spring wont sit so flat, not a bad idea.

Today i took my stuff and dropped it at a local spring works. I had a quick convo with the guy as he was busy. We came up with the following, add a leaf to the transverse leaf and lower it 1.5 inches, remove the 'slapper bar' somebody put in the top of my rear packs and put it at the bottom and lower it 2 inches. He said i shouldnt do anything with the coils in the front until i have the transverse leaf in and see how it looks as the front coils are puny and don't do much.

I'm now having second thoughts. Does anyone think the front may now be too stiff with an extra leaf in? Does anyone else recommend not to go lower than 30mm? Has anyone had their KE10 leaves reset professionally, what did you do and what were the results?

Members dont see this ad

Can you give me a little more info jamesrolla?

I looked into using KE20 springs but seeing as they are wider i didnt bother. The only way i can see to do it is to cut the 'seat' from the 20 strut and weld it to the 10 strut but then the top is too small and to use the 20 strut top you have to modify your bolt holes in the strut tower...

Is that how you did it?

ke20, ke70 and ke10 all have the same spring diameter but ke20 and ke70 are thicker coils and are stronger rate than pissey little ke10 ones, so all i did was take out the ke10 springs and cut down my ke20 ones 2" and shove them in, then i did the thing using ke20 top hats were you make up the little spacer and i just tightened them up and didnt bother welding them, they seem to work pretty well, and ive got a set of near new ke20 KYB shocks in the back

Interesting....

I pulled some struts from a KE20 in a local wrecker and the coil is wider by a good half inch or more. Maybe they were transplanted from elsewhere at some stage....

I've got some NOS koni adjustables going in the front and in the rear i found basically new KYB's and new bushes.

James, what do you mean by top hat?

Can anybody give me some measurements on how wide their KE20 springs are? Also, does anybody know of a similar rubber bush that will fit the little flat bar in the control arm that the transverse leaf rests on?

mine were the same as ke20 so they fitted straight in.... yours should be pretty good suspension wise once you got the konis in the front, good front shocks is something that my car lacks, did you get those konis from ebay????

i think ROL-110 made a post on here ages ago saying how to do it and he had pics and all, and he had pics of all the springs togeather

have a bit of a look around for that one

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah james, got the konis on ebay. Tenyearguarantee was bidding on them too. He told me just after i won them i was now his mortal enemy, haha...

I now have all the suspension reset just waiting to go back in. The guy did what i said he would in my first post. Rang him for the price and got told $260, he did it for a neat $200 cash.

Decided to pull my diff and paint it matt black to match the suspension or it will look out of place. If i pull my finger out this weekend and get it all back in i'll throw some pics up....