Rough Rolla

TheNOBBLER

Hi all, I think its about time I posted this up!

I bought my Twincam about a year ago now and have been slowly cleaning it up. I found it on the net and decided as its only a couple of burbs away I might as well have a look, the bloke who had it had $2600 on it when I first spotted it but this time he had $1600 on it! What a drop!

When I got there he told me straight away before I had even looked at it that its mine for $1100... SOLD! Took it for a drive and then drove it home... and it had 6 months reg!

Anayway, the car looked like it hadnt been cleaned in a couple of years, so I got to work and this is pretty much how it came out.

Its a daily driver so mods are reasonably limited at the moment, but I have done as follows.

2" straight through exhaust

Cold air intake and pod

KMAC Super lows and Monroe shocks

Bendix performax pads all round

New Steering wheel and shifter knob

South African import Dash

Custom twin 2" guage pod

Covered the plastics in hatch with carpet along with custom shelf (the sub is now in a proper box, not in the shelf)

can't remember what else has been done... there are other mods but there pretty small.

I also have 4 sets of wheels to change the look of the car (and because I do too many skids). The only ones not in the pics are the 13" grandma spec stockies!

Cheers,

Jarrad

th_DSCF1182.jpg th_DSCF1178.jpg th_DSCF1179.jpg th_2006_0101rollaclub0004.jpg th_2006_0101rollaclub0002.jpg th_DSCF1180.jpg

Edited by TheNOBBLER

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The next thing to be done to the car is my engine swap.

This weekend I am pulling the engine out and swapping it for my new engine. I have built a bigport using a 20valve block (you might have seen my 20valve head and tb's for sale). There are a couple of reasons for doing this, the main one being cost. I was offered a (very) cheap 20 valve with box so I snapped it up, that way I could sell the head and tb's to fund the rest of the build. Also, I end up with a much stronger engine with higher comp and a higher redline... without the pricetag of building a bigport from scratch.

Anyway, heres some pics of the progress... Will have more after this weekend!

th_20valve.jpgth_DSCF1194.jpgth_DSCF1196.jpgth_DSCF1198.jpgth_DSCF1195.jpgth_DSCF1199.jpg

Thanks all,

It looks pretty good in the photos but when you see it in person the paint it pretty shot. One thing its got going for it is its straight!

Leigh, the dash is my favourite part. I havent seen another one in Aus as yet so I had better not break it! I actually stumbled accross it in an ae82 sedan in the wreckers. The car itself was a personal import from South Africa and had quite a few different thing on it... but sadly I couldnt use most of the parts as it was a sedan!

I started pulling the engine out this arvo, so its all go! Thanks to my mate Munro for his helping hand! Will get back to it on saturday arvo and should have it out the same day.

Thanks again for the comments,

Jarrad

Edited by TheNOBBLER

Well, what a weekend! After starting the swap thursday night I didnt get a chance to work on it again til Saturday morning, and even then it was only for about 4 hours. Thanks to Mrmoparman for coming over and lending a hand, made a big difference for the day!

Back to work thismorning I made a full day of it, I started at 9am and finished up at 10:30pm... like I said, I made a day of it!

I managed to get the old engine out and have it completely stripped and then put the new engine together and fit it up to the box... and managed to get it in the car ready to be hooked up and started. can't wait!

Anyway, the pics show a bit of the story... there off my phone so I hope there ok.

Will keep you all updated on how it goes when I get it running... and then I will get some 1/4 times for a looky!

th_26-11-06_0958.jpgth_26-11-06_2116.jpgth_26-11-06_1255.jpgth_26-11-06_1857.jpgth_26-11-06_1443.jpg

Well, Its going!

Monday night I finished the swap (plugged everything in etc etc) and hit the key... I was rapped as it started straight away and built up oil pressure as it should! No timing problems and no oil leaks.... but the water pump shit itself in the first 5 minutes! Bugger!

So yeah, I should have replaced it whilst the engine was out... but I didnt and I payed for it! Instead I had to do it the hard way and replace it on tuesday night.

Take Two: Topped up all fluids again and hit the key... fired up again like it should and no leaks at all! I let it run for a while and put the bonnet back on then took it for a spin... literally!

In first now it spins the wheels when the tvis activates! Makes a nice sedate driver in traffic and a little monster when you open it up!

So I'm happy to say it all well and good for now, Once the clutch is run (the heavy duty clutch is fantastic by the way) and I'm confident all is fine I'm going to hit Calder and get some times, I will keep you updated!

Heres a pic of the (almost) finished product for you all. It still hasnt been cleaned but I will get onto that!

29-11-06_0628.jpg

Jarrad

Edited by TheNOBBLER

Well, It going!

Take Two: Topped up all fluids again and hit the key... fired up again like it should and no leaks at all! I let it run for a while and put the bonnet back on then took it for a spin... literally!

In first now it spins the wheels when the tvis activates! Makes a nice sedate driver in traffic and a little monster when you open it up!

Jarrad

Hell yeah!!!! thats what you want. Can't wait to give you a run mate. Congrat's and enjoy :y:

:y:

whooo that sounds ace, don't worry I'm allready started on my excuses so don't stress they will be original as i have so much time.

you do know that there is such a thing as overpowering a chassis. so i want to know why the 20v head and quads arent on. talk about a wheel spinning weapon. and also to what car god do you pray to as I'm not having the same luck in keeping the ke11 running for more that 100 ish kays before it decides its not happy, but going to ring the place i sent kangaroosa to and take it from there.

congrats dude it sounds ace.

stu.

cheers very much.....

Edited by kickn5k

Thanks all...

Um, my car god has been forgiving lately... I did the whole swap in a weekend basically! Remember, its only been running since last night so anything could happen yet!

The 20valve head and tbs arent on because I can't afford to do the complete swap and I wanted more low down grunt compared to a 20valve. Later on I will change the cams and have more fun but for now its all apples. This swap is quite cheap if done properly as you use all of your existing efi setup... until you start asking for more more more power! lol! For now though its all good!

Off the road again!

Hrmmm, my car god has struck me... he must have been busy with stu before!

The engine has devoloped a rather intersting top end noise... so until its sorted its living in the garage! The problem there is its my daily driver! Ahh well.

The good news is that in the time its was running it was great, I didnt even give it a great stretch... well, nothing over 6000rpm anyway, but when shifting hard into 3rd at the rpm it chirps the tyres! So appart from the setback I'm pretty happy.

Hopefully it will be up and running again sometime soon so I can have some fun.

Jarrad

Edited by TheNOBBLER