Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ae112r Electrical Problem

Featured Replies

  • Author

No, i can't understand how it could cost that much. the cars new cost $32k, if the computer is half of that, where did they make any profit, unless the chassis is made of wood or something?

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Views 50.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Nope, car is still at Toyota, the computer and imobiliser have been sent to a computer repair specialist in Sydney, still waiting to hear back from them about it. Toyota Head Office are investigating still as they have never seen this before.

hey, tell them to contact Howard at ADELAIDE HILLS TOYOTA, he knows ALL about our model :)

 

Lesley :)

  • Author

If they can't figure it out I'll tell them to give him a call. Hopefully the computer repairer can find the problem and sort it out.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

For any of you who are still interested in my dilema, the car has now been at Toyota in Canberra for 2 months. The computer has been found to be at fault, and no amount of repairs could fix it. My Warranty (Swan Insurance) Have agreed to replace the computer, but have been in negotiations with Toyota over the price. They've bumped them down from $15,000 to $5,000. They are now looking at an aftermarket computer to see if they can reduce that cost even more, as there is a 3 week lead time on the new computer from Toyota.

 

My question now, does anyone know of a plug-in replacement computer for the AE112? the computer is the same for both the standard model and the Sportivo except for the injector timing, so an aftermarket computer is probably programmable. SO if anyone knows of either a replacement or piggyback computer for the AE112 could they share this with me? I know it's probably a long shot but if I can source a computer faster than them it'll save me 3 more weeks on the bus.

 

Cheers

NOO!!!! If SWAN insurance are covering it, tell them you want the original!!!!!! Negotiate with Toyota Extra Care (cause you should be covered) and INSIST that you get the original!!!

For any of you who are still interested in my dilema, the car has now been at Toyota in Canberra for 2 months. The computer has been found to be at fault, and no amount of repairs could fix it. My Warranty (Swan Insurance) Have agreed to replace the computer, but have been in negotiations with Toyota over the price. They've bumped them down from $15,000 to $5,000. They are now looking at an aftermarket computer to see if they can reduce that cost even more, as there is a 3 week lead time on the new computer from Toyota.

 

My question now, does anyone know of a plug-in replacement computer for the AE112? the computer is the same for both the standard model and the Sportivo except for the injector timing, so an aftermarket computer is probably programmable. SO if anyone knows of either a replacement or piggyback computer for the AE112 could they share this with me? I know it's probably a long shot but if I can source a computer faster than them it'll save me 3 more weeks on the bus.

 

Cheers

 

hey mate..not sure if this helps..but our Sportivo runs on a TOM'S ECU..saw it just behind the centre console where the cig lighter is located when i was doing my stereo..hope that helps :P

  • Author

I'm pretty sure Swan are going to go for the original. They've knocked Toyota down another $500 to get it made original. I spoke to Swan about the legality of installing an aftermarket computer and the effect that would have on passing rego, and voiding my current comprehensive insurance. There's no legal way they can install an aftermarket computer at the moment.

Edited by Terminal

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Well I've had my claim approved, and was then told 3 weeks for the new computer. After 3 weeks (which isn't until tomorrow), they have now told me the computer has to be ordered through Toyota Japan, who then orders the computer through Tom's in the UK. this excercise is going to take until the end of May to arrive.

 

I have sent a very well prepared letter to my dealer letting them know what has happened and how impressed I am with it, and in 10 days I will be lodging a formal complaint with the Office of Fair Trading. I think waiting 5 months for a new computer is a bit of a joke, especially when that's almost half of my yearly rego and insurance costs.

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Well I finally got my car back today. I think it's been almost 4 months since I got the problem. A new computer was made for my car and then installed yesterday, so hooray!

 

Next time, I'll definately be more assertive.

YAY! you got your car back!!!!!!! How's it running?

 

I hate it when it's in for servicing, painting etc., (last year was 192 days in total) but when you get it back it makes you appreciate it all the more :jamie:

 

 

Lesley :y:

talk to a solicitor and write up a letter of demand to recoup the rego, insurance and replacement vehicle costs. 4 months to diagnose and replace a faulty computer is absolute bullshit and as a valued customer you should not be out of pocket.

  • Author

Well, it's running so it's a start. there wasn't anything actually wrong with it before the incident, it just turned itself off all the time. Now it doesn't, which makes driving it a bit easier.

 

I'm thinking very hard about going to see a solicitor, but I don't know if the amount I'll get off them will outweigh the costs of a lawyer. 4 months rego is only about $250

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.