Terminal

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

For any of you who are still interested in my dilema, the car has now been at Toyota in Canberra for 2 months. The computer has been found to be at fault, and no amount of repairs could fix it. My Warranty (Swan Insurance) Have agreed to replace the computer, but have been in negotiations with Toyota over the price. They've bumped them down from $15,000 to $5,000. They are now looking at an aftermarket computer to see if they can reduce that cost even more, as there is a 3 week lead time on the new computer from Toyota.

My question now, does anyone know of a plug-in replacement computer for the AE112? the computer is the same for both the standard model and the Sportivo except for the injector timing, so an aftermarket computer is probably programmable. SO if anyone knows of either a replacement or piggyback computer for the AE112 could they share this with me? I know it's probably a long shot but if I can source a computer faster than them it'll save me 3 more weeks on the bus.

Cheers

For any of you who are still interested in my dilema, the car has now been at Toyota in Canberra for 2 months. The computer has been found to be at fault, and no amount of repairs could fix it. My Warranty (Swan Insurance) Have agreed to replace the computer, but have been in negotiations with Toyota over the price. They've bumped them down from $15,000 to $5,000. They are now looking at an aftermarket computer to see if they can reduce that cost even more, as there is a 3 week lead time on the new computer from Toyota.

My question now, does anyone know of a plug-in replacement computer for the AE112? the computer is the same for both the standard model and the Sportivo except for the injector timing, so an aftermarket computer is probably programmable. SO if anyone knows of either a replacement or piggyback computer for the AE112 could they share this with me? I know it's probably a long shot but if I can source a computer faster than them it'll save me 3 more weeks on the bus.

Cheers

hey mate..not sure if this helps..but our Sportivo runs on a TOM'S ECU..saw it just behind the centre console where the cig lighter is located when i was doing my stereo..hope that helps :P

I'm pretty sure Swan are going to go for the original. They've knocked Toyota down another $500 to get it made original. I spoke to Swan about the legality of installing an aftermarket computer and the effect that would have on passing rego, and voiding my current comprehensive insurance. There's no legal way they can install an aftermarket computer at the moment.

Edited by Terminal

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've had my claim approved, and was then told 3 weeks for the new computer. After 3 weeks (which isn't until tomorrow), they have now told me the computer has to be ordered through Toyota Japan, who then orders the computer through Tom's in the UK. this excercise is going to take until the end of May to arrive.

I have sent a very well prepared letter to my dealer letting them know what has happened and how impressed I am with it, and in 10 days I will be lodging a formal complaint with the Office of Fair Trading. I think waiting 5 months for a new computer is a bit of a joke, especially when that's almost half of my yearly rego and insurance costs.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got my car back today. I think it's been almost 4 months since I got the problem. A new computer was made for my car and then installed yesterday, so hooray!

Next time, I'll definately be more assertive.

talk to a solicitor and write up a letter of demand to recoup the rego, insurance and replacement vehicle costs. 4 months to diagnose and replace a faulty computer is absolute bullshit and as a valued customer you should not be out of pocket.

Well, it's running so it's a start. there wasn't anything actually wrong with it before the incident, it just turned itself off all the time. Now it doesn't, which makes driving it a bit easier.

I'm thinking very hard about going to see a solicitor, but I don't know if the amount I'll get off them will outweigh the costs of a lawyer. 4 months rego is only about $250