Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fuel Level Gauge Problems?

Featured Replies

Hi,

I'm my KE30 for a while now the fuel gauge has been playing up on me. It gives false readings and is slow to work.

 

Some problems it has is I can fully fill the tank and gauge will lift really fast then go really slowly and take about 5min to get to the right reading. Then I can drive 150Km and it will not move but turn off the ignition and back on later or when you next drive the gauge will go from reading full to half full tank. So I drove to the fuel depo to see if it was gauge or motor chewing the fuel and it was the gauge as it took 12L of fuel to fill the tank so the gauge should of dropped a 1/4 only.

 

So I have decided to pull the fuel tank sender out and inspect it and if it is shitty replace it out of my new corollas tank as it gauge is accurate and well works nicely.

 

So my question is how do I remove the fuel sender from the tank? It looks like a twist thing from my investigations so far but I am not sure.

 

Next what voltages should it read and that when the tank is full empty etc. So I can also test my electrical side of things to see if it causing the problem?

 

As I have throughly read my car manual and can't find ANYTHING on the fuel sender unit on a KE corolla so mm there no help.

 

Cheers

Cameron

hey man i have the same problem in my ke55i get a good reading when its a full tank but its very slow and changes ber randomly??

 

Why is this

cameron: It should unscrew and then pull out which may require a bit of turning around of the sender unit as you pull it out.

 

dr1ft: Its an old car. The resistor (copper wire) on the fuel sender wears out over time and they don't make brand new replacements anymore.

 

A little bit of quick research in Google shows that this place Otto Instruments in Salisbury, Queensland, repair fuel sender units, fuel gauges etc etc.

 

Give that a shot. I'm not sure how much they charge but if somene wants to give them a call and find out if they can repair the fuel sender units for our beloved corolla's, that would be great.

 

Raven

Edited by Raven

  • Author

Hi,

Thanks for the advice raven. Ill look ingot it later on.

 

But DR1FT you sound like you are having the same troubles as me. Well it is just an age thing and what raven said so bare with it. But Ravne on a weekday soon ill ring that shop you found using google and see what they offer for us.

 

Cameron

  • Author

Hey,

Just noticed that shop in QLD you found raven is Otto instruments. That is where I had my speed o rebuilt after it died as over the years the gear box oil got to it and ate away the brass parts in it or something. I can recommend this shop to anyone. But Ill ring them soon to get a price.

 

Cameron

Edited by camerondownunder88

autobarn also sell universal fuel tank sender units, there not to dear if i remember correctly

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.