Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke15 Strut Rebuild

Featured Replies

Hey Guys,

 

I am in the middle now of rebuilding my struts on the ke15. I have a set of Ground Control/Eibach coilovers that I am going to fit to the ke15 strut and they are for a 99 corolla, but they will be close enough for what I need. I also have a set of tokico inserts for them. I got the first "retainer nut" out and the insert won't budge, is there another nut under there. I see a flat washer looking thing with a hole on each side like it may be another one maybe. These appear to be original rebuildable struts.

 

Thanks for the help,

 

Glenn

  • Author

nevermind gang, I found the issue. The rubber o-ring wouldnt give and then finally came out. All straight now.

 

Glenn

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

If anyone was interested in the coilver conversion, here's a couple of pics...........

 

Glenn

post-625-1173298874_thumb.jpg

post-625-1173298897_thumb.jpg

Cool Man , coilovers on a KE1X , looks good have you got discs on the front ? and are they T3 items

groundcontrol, same as the ones on my 55, although mine are on a different strut, what is that silver large shaft with the red bit on top in the 1st pic? its inside the spring and strut tube

  • Author
groundcontrol, same as the ones on my 55, although mine are on a different strut, what is that silver large shaft with the red bit on top in the 1st pic? its inside the spring and strut tube

 

It's the usual stuff, I think the part that you are talking abou tis just the strut insert. If not, I'm not sure.

 

Lindsay..the adjustable bits are ground control and the springs are eibach 180lbs.

 

+++NEW QUESTION+++

 

I bought some tokico strut inserts on EBAY and they ended up being the ones that are made for the ke15. The overall lenth of the strut case is 17". I was trying to get the ones for the 71+ corolla but they were missmarked. How bad off are these going to be? I know that the car is at least 2-2.5" lower, but with the stiffer springs, I think that the only thing that I have to worry about is big bumps right, not so much the bottoming out issue, right?

 

Glenn

how is you insert being held in, in that pic it looks like the insert is not bolted into the strut tube

  • Author
how is you insert being held in, in that pic it looks like the insert is not bolted into the strut tube

 

 

the insert is held in by the original threaded nut, the red cap is just for looks/dust, maybe. I'll ahve pics tomorrow. I am also doing a similiar version of Stewart's adjustable strut tops. We'll see how it goes, I finally have all the bits.

 

Glenn

  • Author

Here's the update fo anyone checking it out....

 

pic 1 front shot

pic 2 back shot

pic 3 where does this hook up??

pic 4 my version of stewart's strut tops

pic 5 one more inch to go.

 

Glenn

post-625-1173925685_thumb.jpg

post-625-1173925750_thumb.jpg

post-625-1173925791_thumb.jpg

post-625-1173925818_thumb.jpg

post-625-1173925839_thumb.jpg

  • Author

I've only driven it around trhe block so it's hard to say how it feels exactly although for what litttle driving I did, it felt great. The guys at www.geocities.com/ke15 is running 250lb springs up front and agrees that that is too stiff for normal driving. Mine are 180 so I think that it'll be okay

 

I think that I had $75.00 in the strut tups. The expensive part was the bearings. The rest was time. I need to hit a few bumps to make sure that they will hold up. After that we'll see, there may be a gen two top.

 

Glenn

  • Author

I just realized that I left out the pic that I needed help with. Where does this vacuum line from the dizzy hook up?

 

Glenn

post-625-1173959299_thumb.jpg

  • Author

I should have taken a better pic. The dizzy has a vacuum on both sides. The other one is hooked to the carb. Do both of the ports go to the carb?

 

Thanks,

Glenn

Nah mate, as far as I know from reading other threads here is that the outer port should go to the carby, and the inner port should go to the intake manifold.

Try doing a search for 'vacuum advance' in the search page and see what you come up with.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.