Ke15 Strut Rebuild

GBKE15

Hey Guys,

I am in the middle now of rebuilding my struts on the ke15. I have a set of Ground Control/Eibach coilovers that I am going to fit to the ke15 strut and they are for a 99 corolla, but they will be close enough for what I need. I also have a set of tokico inserts for them. I got the first "retainer nut" out and the insert won't budge, is there another nut under there. I see a flat washer looking thing with a hole on each side like it may be another one maybe. These appear to be original rebuildable struts.

Thanks for the help,

Glenn

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...
groundcontrol, same as the ones on my 55, although mine are on a different strut, what is that silver large shaft with the red bit on top in the 1st pic? its inside the spring and strut tube

It's the usual stuff, I think the part that you are talking abou tis just the strut insert. If not, I'm not sure.

Lindsay..the adjustable bits are ground control and the springs are eibach 180lbs.

+++NEW QUESTION+++

I bought some tokico strut inserts on EBAY and they ended up being the ones that are made for the ke15. The overall lenth of the strut case is 17". I was trying to get the ones for the 71+ corolla but they were missmarked. How bad off are these going to be? I know that the car is at least 2-2.5" lower, but with the stiffer springs, I think that the only thing that I have to worry about is big bumps right, not so much the bottoming out issue, right?

Glenn

how is you insert being held in, in that pic it looks like the insert is not bolted into the strut tube

the insert is held in by the original threaded nut, the red cap is just for looks/dust, maybe. I'll ahve pics tomorrow. I am also doing a similiar version of Stewart's adjustable strut tops. We'll see how it goes, I finally have all the bits.

Glenn

I've only driven it around trhe block so it's hard to say how it feels exactly although for what litttle driving I did, it felt great. The guys at www.geocities.com/ke15 is running 250lb springs up front and agrees that that is too stiff for normal driving. Mine are 180 so I think that it'll be okay

I think that I had $75.00 in the strut tups. The expensive part was the bearings. The rest was time. I need to hit a few bumps to make sure that they will hold up. After that we'll see, there may be a gen two top.

Glenn