Ke20 For Classic Adelaide Rally

D.McKiggan

Hi All,

Just thought i would inroduce myself and my project for the year.

Just updating my KE20 to a better body and make it in line with the rules for Classic Adelaide & Improved Production Racing.

My Dad and I have done the classic 5 times in a 1969 KE15 sprinter and it was time to change up to the 2ltr 3TG option.

The car is getting a blasting internally at present and then the paintwork can start. It has already been issued with a CAMS log book so i can

compete in the IPRASA rounds as well.

Will keep some updates coming when things look more complete.

DMC

post-3094-1172497270_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1172497530_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
I remember seeing the KE15 at the last classic, was a beast of a car.

Good luck with the new one. :)

Cheers, Rob

Am i right in saying you had a uprighted K series in the sprinter? What is the process in getting a car log booked, does it just have to be the shell or do you have to have the cage and other safety aspecs complete?

So are you just using this new shell and all the parts from the last Ke20?

Goodluck

Sean

Edited by rollin_stock

Am i right in saying you had a uprighted K series in the sprinter? What is the process in getting a car log booked, does it just have to be the shell or do you have to have the cage and other safety aspecs complete?

So are you just using this new shell and all the parts from the last Ke20?

Goodluck

Sean

Hi Sean,

The uprighting of the engine with modified engine mounts makes it easier for the twin webers and the exhaust system. The only other mod is a slight mod of the gearbox hole and to bend the gear stick slightly so it does not hit your legs. We run the celica T50 box with a set of TRD lower ratio's which gives the car excellent off the line acceleration. The diff has been changed over to a hi-lux LSD (wont be breaking that one!!) and it runs a 5K motor with numerous internal mods. My dad is the expert in these K series motors as he has raced them most of his life. From K , 3K, 4K , 5K and now he has just finished his own fuel injection system for a 7K he is putting into another KE15 body (he has 3 in total).

My engine expeirence and shed full of parts links back to the 2T - 3T , 3TG engine due to the ke 20 i race.

Getting a car log booked is as simple as filling out a CAMS application form but...... once you race the car it needs to be inspected to the level of competition you are going to compete at. For Classic we run in Comp so it needs a full cage, seats, using racing suits ect. If you were to do a circuit sprint you can do this without certain certification. As soon as it involves CAMS it always starts to become technically difficult!!

Our KE15 was used in racing 20 years ago so it has a log book that goes back awhile.

If the KE20 is not ready we will run the 15 again. I hope to start afresh with parts but can always unbolt certain parts of my old car. Only time will tell which path i will take.

Will post the tranformation as it happens.

David

post-3094-1172581759_thumb.jpg

which class do you run in? We were going to put the 2 in the Classic Adelaide but the 5 grand was just too much for us....

We run in the competition class which does attract the highest entry fee but it also has the advantage of open speed limits. The other sections, parade, touring, and new to last year of Regularity all have a max speed in stage of about 130 (i think).Their fees are cheaper and would be a good introduction as the level of safety equipment is less for these sections.

As there is two of you doing the event its really 1/2 fee each and if you look at what you might spend doing other events over a year it does work out good value for the 350km of closed road sections. These events are just starting to grow due to older drivers wanting still to compete but on a once a year / social level. The roads you get to drive on are fantastic and the organisation of it is great.

If you would like a copy of the event overview i can send you a copy as it has all the interesting facts. We first entered in 2000 and there has only ever been another TA22 celica compete so its been very Toyota sparce.

Go on .. you only live once..

David

post-3094-1172619341_thumb.jpg

Nice corolla you've got there!

How long have you been working on this particular one?

What have you done in the suspension setup on the KE20?

(The pic off the sprinter looks great!)

robj

Hi Rob,

The KE15 has been in the family for over 30 years and was first raced as a series production car in WA. My dad raced and produced plenty of engines over the years and if you saw the parts accumulated in his workshop at home you would be amazed. Has quite a few early TRD engine parts that were around when the 3k was running in the US formula atlatic series. The re-work really started in 2000 to convert from track to rally spec as we needed to make the car realiable for the 1000km of driving not just a 5 lap sprint race. Unfortunatly that first year my driving got a bit to confident on the last day 3 stages before the end (see Pic). As far as suspension goes the rear runs a hilux diff with a lotus A frame + adj koni's.

The KE20 model was the next step up running the 2T engine and when i got my CAMS licenece at 16 i developed up the 3TG for it. It was great as there was a Toyota rally priviteer importing the TRD parts in my local town. I purchased the set of racing cams, pistons, d/valve Springs ect and made the new engine with all the goodies.

As far as suspension the rear is a 5 link inc. panard rod with a TA-22 diff running a locked 4.11 celica diff+ Koni adj shocks, rear adj sway bar + supra disc brakes. It did have a 4.7 TRD LSD but i took the car to the drags one year and blew the diff by lowering my tyre pressures. Did a 14.5 at 105Mph the run before with the back bouncing all over the place and another guy said lower your pressure from 32 to about 15psi. Was going great until 3 into 4th -- BANG!!!.

Front suspension is modified lower control arms, Volvo 4 spots, koni adj shocks, adj camber / caster solid strut towers and a 1" adj sway bar.

Its a great car to drive with the engine over the 200HP and the weight is 840kg's.

Just working out what to do to the new one....

David

post-3094-1172666190_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1172666318_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
how hard was it to fit the 2t into the 20? ive heard there isnt much room..

Hi Retro,

As the KE20 came out in Japan in the Levin spec it had the 2TG as the standard engine. It actually bolts straight in. You might just flatten out a couple of the bumps on the fire wall so you can remove the rocker cover easily and taking the engine and gear box as an assembly you need to gently wiggle it over the steering arms but it all seems to fit in snuggly. I think we ended up using modified engine mounts to move the engine forward about 20 mm to give it more room.

You can see in the photo where the engine mounts are it is slightly off set forward. This way the cross member stays unmodified and you just use the mounts.

Hope this helps. Great engine for this model.

David

post-3094-1174044354_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Another small step in the process.

The car is back from blasting the internals out (3 weeks longer than promised!!!). Now ready for the rear ally panels to seal off the top & rear bulkheads from fuel. Just need the rivets to fix into place. Also the brackets for the TA22 fuel tank are to be made to fit in the boot where the old one was residing. Both will be done over the easter break as well as a group sanding effort on the rest of the body.

Another quick job of the seat brackets to be finilised for the set of Velo's to be added when painted.

Hopefully looks like a car once the paint has been done.

The next set of photos will starts to show real progress.

DMC

post-3094-1175516882_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1175516899_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1175516913_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1175516925_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Its getting there......

Its been a slow road as most re-builds are. I have just made the decision to ramp up the work level and get a professional involved. I was looking at where to get my car painted and i noticed a sign post on the next street from where i live. It had " Paint & Panel" so i called the guy. He came around with his son and looked over the car as i explained what i needed done.

It turned out he is a panel beater / painter by trade and has just gone back to working on cars again from his home buisness. He looker over my train wreck and took an interest in a charity case for the year!!.

So now it's in his shed getting the flares fitted / final rub down and then painted inside & out.

So shortly the pics will be of the shell looking a bit cleaner than these ones.

Will keep ya posted!

DMC

post-3094-1183729132_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1183729148_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1183729234_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Its bright RED now and the photos don't really show this as what your eyes do.

Just back from painting and now starting to re-assemble.

This one wont make it in this years classic so will be using the KE15 as suspected. Hopefully can get some leave from work and really get stuck into the project.

David

post-3094-1188398810_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1188398857_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1188398914_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1188398970_thumb.jpg