Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Engine talk

Featured Replies

But then the question has to be asked: why is there anything to prove? Who cares what "they" think?

 

I tell people that I have a 1.6L twincam in my Corolla, and they go "oh." And then I tell them it's a 1975 Corolla and they go "and you're proud of that?". But hey, I go out and have fun in it, that's all that's important. More than half the time given any section of twisty road I'll leave them in my dust...

 

:P

  • Replies 32
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just sick of the "it isn't turboed / supercharged so it sucks" crap

 

I swear the day I crawl my arse out of debt will be the day I go nuts with a 4A-GE and show those wuckfits what a n/a can do

Formula atlantic...its already been done...I think its cheaper and more viable for us to make a turboed motor make the same power as a $11,000 NA FA 4A-GE....and we're talking about a SR20DE here..not a 4A-GE

Formula atlantic...its already been done...I think its cheaper and more viable for us to make a turboed motor make the same power as a $11,000 NA FA 4A-GE....and we're talking about a SR20DE here..not a 4A-GE

 

I thought we'd gotten over this whole SR20 thing already...

 

In any case, the fact of the matter is that getting an NA motor to give out the same amount of power as a turbo motor, you'll need to be pushing it a lot harder. Not impossible, but given a certain power goal, it'll be a lot harder to build a reliable NA engine that will last, simply because it's running at a lot closer to its peak all the time.

 

FA engines make HUGE power, but they don't last at all. Same with Formula 1 engines, they absolutely scream - but they're really friggin expensive and they don't last at all...

So do you agree with me that its cheaper to make a fast forced induction motor than the equivalent NA?

 

I think you'll also find theres a point over which you will struggle severly to make more power with a NA engine. Id love to see you try and make a 2500hp NA Top doorslammer motor....

 

There is a technical reason for this...but I'm not about to explain it if I don't need to....if you want me to I can

some of you will know IRA11Y from toymods. before he put his latest 4age in his ae71, he did a bit of budget work on the 4ac for a laugh, took it to a toymods dyno day and ended up making more power at the wheels than some 4age boys had at the flywheel, or something like that

you're both arguing different things

1 - an engine is not better because it makes 220kw and one other makes 186kw

2 - an engine is not crap because it doesn't score you toymods points

3 - "1.6L motor" and "1975 corolla" don't really explain fook's car, something like "rwd corolla with coilovers and efi engine conversion" begins to describe how kickass the 35 really is

"1.6L motor" and "1975 corolla" don't really explain fook's car, something like "rwd corolla with coilovers and efi engine conversion" begins to describe how kickass the 35 really is

 

As you've probably come to realise, some people don't see past engine size and "new sports car". Just the same, some people still think that V8 engines are far superior to anything else.

 

On the same train of thought, among most crowds an Evo8 will probably receive less praise and respect than say... A Porsche Boxter, even though an Evo8 will most definately walk all over the Boxter... But it's not a Porsche. And therefore it sucks.

Edited by demuire

OK I have been corrected by Avalonea. I contacted him for some claification.

 

The S13-14-15 SR20DETs are the same bar VVT and turbo.

 

Ben - stuff says:

oh mighty SR20DET messiah

Авалониа ouch says:

>

Авалониа ouch says:

?

Ben - stuff says:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?s...pic=1227&st=15&

Ben - stuff says:

wish to set the record straight for all of us?

Авалониа ouch says:

nope

Авалониа ouch says:

same engine

Авалониа ouch says:

just vvt

Авалониа ouch says:

also

Авалониа ouch says:

s13 one has more power on less boost

Ben - stuff says:

i did a little bit of research

Ben - stuff says:

S15 runs 10:1 CR

Ben - stuff says:

couldnt believe that

Авалониа ouch says:

it doesnt

Авалониа ouch says:

that will be the na s15

 

All good :P

Fook - when i tell people about your car - there mouths open. Maybe because i go on about it, or maybe because of the fact that it is a _ really _ cooool _ Car !

 

(oh i am on mums computer, and i don't have IE spell on it :P )

 

Also, Fook, if the fact that people go "oh" when you tell them about your car really gets to you, ill take your motor ;) and put a Twin Turbo Bogan V8 in it - it will fit and score you many toyomod points lol

 

Irally - omg that car is so nice... don't get me started :P

 

Nick : oh I'm sure you will build a Nutty motor some day... untill then the white car is still a sweet ride :rolla:

 

:P

I'm just sick of the "it isn't turboed / supercharged so it sucks" crap

 

I swear the day I crawl my arse out of debt will be the day I go nuts with a 4A-GE and show those wuckfits what a n/a can do

right on! you are the man nick!

 

eg. my 22re.

did i mention my local spped shop is getting me a NOS dry fog system for it??

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.